Paralyzed leg after dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bowler729, Sep 9, 2016.

1. bowler729

bowler729 New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    We had a dog attack Sunday. One of my bantam roosters was injured. He appears to have a paralyzed leg. He's been living in a Guinea pic cage inside since the incident. We fed him some electrolytes and he has perked up. Seems to have no other issues than his leg. Is eating and drinking well. The vet said that he couldn't find any broken bones and he didn't think it was dislocated. He thought neurological damage. Today we put him in an ex pen outside and he tried to move around. We used guaze to bandage the bum leg to his body out of his way and that helped some.
    Tonight he's trying to fly [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any tips or advice or anything we can do to help him? I really want to give him a chance to have a pet quality life.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    The exact same thing happened to one of my mothers hens when the dog got her. My best advise is rest and time. It took my mothers hen about 4 weeks to get better but she did in the end. I brought her to mine as my mother didn't have anywhere to seperate her. She stayed in a small coop and I put her put on the grass for a few minutes a couple of times a day. I increased this as time when on as she became stronger. It was a long slow process for Brenda but she got there in the end.

[​IMG]

Good luck with your roo, I hope he is well again soon :fl

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would agree that with time, there may be some healing. Poultry vitamins with trace minerals might be helpfull added to food or water. A crate with his food and water, that could be moved around to where the other chickens are located would be helpful to have him remain part of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by