Paralyzed leg after dog attack

Chrysostomist

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2017
Oklahoma
One hen was injured by our dog, an open wound at the base of her wing, and she didn't die. But she won't (can't) move one leg and isn't trying to even walk. Surprisingly, she did lay an egg after this injury. She's in isolation to stay safe and she rats and drinks. I most wonder if she will be able to get around and free range if her leg doesn't get better. Do people here have one-legged chickens that can take care of themselves as easily as a healthy chicken, besides running from a predator, maybe? I saw someone else mentioned amputating a chicken's paralyzed leg so there may be some chance...

Can you take her to a vet?
How long ago was she attacked?
Any photos of her wounds/injuries?

There's a difference between won't and can't - how badly injured is she? Most chickens will make some type of effort to still remain mobile even when badly injured, so she most likely she can't. Laying an egg after trauma/injury is not that unusual, she probably had one on the way, so that would have been normal.

Injuries can cause neurological or spinal damage paralyzing the legs. Also stress from an attack can possibly bring forth symptoms of underlying diseases that cause paralysis (Marek's, Newcastles, etc.).

You may want to place her in a sling several hours a day to get her more upright and she will stay a bit cleaner. There are many ideas on how to make a sling.

Provide her with some extra protein like egg or tuna and some poultry vitamins.

As far as getting around, yes, she will be susceptible to predator attacks and you will need to integrate her carefully is she becomes well enough to go outside - sometimes a flock will not accept a disabled member. There are numerous threads and posts about keeping a chicken with one leg so you may want to check those out, just search at the top.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1115597/need-a-chicken-sling

This hen has recovered! She started walking on both legs again with a limp and I don't know if she still has that limp now. She lays eggs again too!

This hen has recovered! She started walking on both legs again with a limp and I don't know if she still has that limp now. She lays eggs again too!
This gives us hope. We have the same problem. It happened one day ago and she won't or can't walk. We patched the wounds and see that she is eating and drinking (we have to bring it to her) but does not walk. It's so sad... We are hoping she will suddenly start moving.

Back
Top Bottom