Paralyzed weak chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewChickieFarm, Jun 22, 2016.

1. NewChickieFarm

NewChickieFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    I am freaking out. My pullet is 11 weeks old, lives alone in a coop with her hatch mate and gets to free range about an hour a day. Yesterday, everything was fine, they were both up and chipper like always, check on them today and I thought my pullet was dead, mashed onto the bedding and the hatch mate was walking all over her like she was dead. I went to grab the body and she lifted her head up, she's alive but barely. She has no control over her legs or wings. I sat her up and the hatch mate instantly mounted her so I separated her. She is resting with her eyes close but idk how to keep her alive! Her poop is normal so idk if she has a disease, that her hatch mate hasn't caught yet or if her mate hurt her since today was the first time I've seen it mount her. Please please please tell me what I should do to try to save her life

2. NewChickieFarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    Ok so she isn't paralyzed, if I stretch her wing out she is able to pull it back, but she doesn't have any movement in her feet and sits kind of lopsided off of them. She's puffed her feathers up now that I've separated her and she is able to hold her head up. I'm trying to do research but I'm new to this and I have no clue what this is.

3. NewChickieFarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    Well never mind, she passed away. Idk how a bird can act perfectly healthy one day and be dead the next..

4. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Sorry for your loss. I lost a pulley a few weeks ago too, one minute she was fine and the next she was dead. She couldn't stand on her legs and just flopped on to her chest with her legs behind her, she had her head head high and beak open and breathing quite heavily, with in the hour she had died. This all happened within a few hours. Still oblivious as to what happened to take her so quick as there was no sign of her being sick a few hours previous to this.

5. NewChickieFarm

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    Thank you. I'm located in KY and looking to have a necropsy conducted but it looks like that would cost around $200 and I just can't do that. I guess I'll call my local vet tomorrow to see if he knows of any cheaper options

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by