1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Paranoid Faverolle

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lovemy3hens, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Lovemy3hens

Lovemy3hens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Hello all,

I'm still new to keeping chickens and have a 3 month old Faverolle. She is at the bottom of the pecking order which I read is quite common with the breed. But mine seems so flighty and standoffish. She's almost afraid of her own shadow and everything seems to bother her. She'll scream for no apparent reason when she's out in the run and when held she'll scream her head off until she eventually calms down in a few mins. Is this normal for this breed? Will she calm down as she gets older?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I (as well as many other Fav breeders) have found that they can be kind of skitsy when they are young, but tend to calm down once they start laying, or get close to it. Of course, there is always the exception...

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My three SFs, now nearly 7 months old were little freaks when they were younger. I had already decided that I didn't want to have any more of that breed. One even took a chunk outta DH's hand when he picked her up to help her out of a tight spot she'd found herself in. I thought it was hilarious [​IMG] DH did not. [​IMG] He still has a name-we-don't-use-on-BYC for those three SFs.
    When they started laying, a change came over these girls. They are now sweethearts. Still the loudest birds in the barnyard and only one appreciates being picked up, but they have calmed down considerably and always want to around me when I'm out. Just not picked up.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have a little group of four bantam salmon faverolles and they are the sweetest things on the planet. They are thick as thieves and always seem to be right together, pecking at the food trough, in the nest box, dirt bathing; and they make the most unusual sounds. They all love to be picked up and cuddled and are as calm as can be. Not sure if this is normal, or just my luck with this group.

Maybe your faverolle needs another faverolle friend to calm down?

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    No, it's a difference in the personalities of the bantams vs the large fowl. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is probably a breed-specific trait, but I have noticed that birds with partial blindness frequently exhibit such behaviors. Since they can not see well, they are always on alert and note perceived dangers. Chickens do know that everything wants to eat them. Well, those who live long enough to pass on their genes do.[​IMG]

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I think most breeds just go through a skittish phase at 3-4 months old. All mine did including barred rock, ee, wyandottes. I will be getting a faverolle hopefully once they are ready [​IMG] but I have experienced the skittish period and usually between 3-4 months, my ee was shy 2-4 months, but she is still a "chicken" chicken LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by