Parasite Identification w/picture. **updated**

RaeJean

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2015
Hi to all,

I have been a new member for only a short time. I have found this forum to be quite helpful in answering questions. However, I have a question that I have been unable to find an answer to. Yesterday, while collecting eggs I noticed tiny clear round spots/particles in one of my hen's poop. Not sure what type of parasite to treat for. I found an article on tapeworm segments, but these round particles were not white nor nearly the size as described in the article. Rather they are tiny and completely clear. At first I thought it was condensation because of all of the rain we have been having, but the particles were all uniform on size. Didn't notice any other infested poop. So I am hoping that whatever my chickens have, that I have caught it in early stages. If I am unable to identify for specific treatment, can anyone recommend a broad spectrum dewormer? Thanks RaeJean

subsequent post-

ok, so today, after again checking hen poop, I found a pile with white seemingly round segments in it.
here is my pic:

I went to the local feed store, showed them my pic and they recommended Durvet Striker III (hygromycin B) The package indicates it is for large roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worm. I agree with Urban Flock's post that I should know what I have before I treat. I am kinda depending on what the person at the feed store told me. But I still do not know the identification of these worms. I am also concerned about "selling" eggs. I was a bit confused by an earlier post I read about FDA approval? If anyone can shed some light on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. The medication I purchased is FDA approved from what I understand, but I am still not clear on selling my eggs (which I usually give to friends and family who contribute to feed costs) laid by "treated" hens.

Last edited:
Hi, I would be good if you could take photos of it and maybe it's can help. I started with two hens and now I got over 150. However I usually add a little apple cider vinegar to the drinking water and I never had any parasites and mine are completely free ranged only going to the coops to sle. My grandma used to do this with her hens and I have learned it from her. But if you worried there is several product on the market what you can buy. Here is some names hope it's helps. If you have a very bad case of parasites ( what I hope you don't) your vet can give something stronger like ivermectin or something.
I also add multivitamin in wintertime.
Don't panick they eat all sorts that makes they poo scary, one of my hens gone and eat the pig waste and made her poop rather unusual.

Farm and Yard Remedies Phytopet Chicken Wormwood, 50 ml
Verm-X Liquid for all Poultry, 250 mL
Good luck
1f423.png
1f413.png
1f983.png

You need to identify what the problem is before you act. Don't just give them a wormer because you see something. There are many on here that would like to help you but we do need to see a picture of what you are describing. It is amazing how many things are out there that chickens can get. Also some wormers work on specific worms and not on others. So it is really important to know what your dealing with before you take any action.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom