Parasites, impacted crop, overgrown beak?

Tuppemor

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Norway
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
-Blue Orpington pullet (?) 4 months, weight unknown, but she is skinny - breast bone protruding.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
-Lethargic, unwilling to run or follow the others. Full, hard crop. Will eat sweet corn and drinks. Noticed fleas (?) while handling. She also has an overgrown lower beak and curved top beak.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
-No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
-Nothing happened that I know of

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
-Free range bird. I provide pellets, corn, seeds, etc. I have seen her eat sweet corn with great enthusiasm and also drinks the electrolyte water I gave her.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
-Looks normal to me
IMG_5898_red.jpg

IMG_5903_red.jpg

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
-Indoor crating, oil into crop by syringe followed by massage of crop, electrolyte water, sugar water, bug spray.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
-Home treatment

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
-Picture of beak
IMG_5894_red.jpg

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
-Coop lined with wood shavings. Indoor crate lined with a towel.

I noticed this morning that she (?) was sitting under a tree by herself with her head tucked under her wing. I went out to see if she would go along, and she followed the others slowly. Would not run, seemed sluggish and very thin, crop was full and hard. This afternoon I took her in because she was still sluggish and the crop was still hard. Took her on my lap and gave her some vegetable oil with a syringe, and massaged her crop gently. Seems to be helping. Offered sweet corn and she perked right up, gobbling up every piece.

While she was on my lap I noticed little bugs crawling on me, and soon discovered they were all over her. Assuming fleas. Sprayed her with bug spray, dead fleas all over the crate floor now. Sprayed the other birds as well.

Now - her beak is another issue. She does not seem to have trouble eating, so I don't think it's the cause of any of it. But should I trim it none the less? Just the bottom or top as well? Another of the orps has the same condition.

Thanks for any input, although the situation doesn't seem critical.
smile.png

Is the corn whole or cracked? Does she have grit (ground granite) available? Is the crop still full and firm first thing in the morning? I would probably try cutting back on the corn, as it is like candy to them, and they will eat it rather than more nourishing foods.

If the crop is not emptying overnight, there are some excellent discussions on impacted and sour crops linked on the FAQ page.

If she appears to have an impacted crop, why would you feed her more corn??? You need to stop feeding her right now and break up the mass in her crop using oil and gentle massage.

First off, not to get ahead of myself, you need to determine if she in fact has an impacted crop You need to take her food away over night, if her crop is still full and hard by morning, then you need to treat for impacted crop, if it has gone down, she is fine. If she is still pooping normal, I would not suspect an impacted crop.

Corn is like candy to chickens, it has no nutritional value at all. corn is not good for them for the most part. I would only feed it as an occasional treat at most.

As far as her beak goes, I would be afraid to take off too much of the lower beak. Maybe someone will have experience with that issue. Good luck.

Quote:
It is whole canned corn, the same as I use in cooking. Yes, they are spoiled.
cool.png
I give it as treats, so they don't get too much of it. I just gave her a little to get some nourishment in her and see if she would eat. She has regular feed pellets in her crate.

I only noticed it this morning (ten hours ago), so I won't know about emptying until tomorrow (remember the time difference, I am in Norway).
I am massaging her crop and it seems to be softening up nicely.

Quote:
I did not give her corn until the crop had softened significantly and only gave her a little. But I will take the food away now and leave only electrolyte water until tomorrow.

I do feed corn only as a treat, I take a small can (the same amount that could go in a salad) and spread it on the ground for all twenty of them, maybe twice a week.

Ah, you are talking about canned corn. Doubt it is doing any harm, then, I agree.

I also agree I would probably not mess with the beak if she can pick up her food from the feeder without a problem, and get enough water.

After the bird has had enough time to let the crop go down, let us know how it is going.

Back
Top Bottom