parasites on my chickens

bdagenais

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Yesterday I went out with my kids to let them pet the chickens (we are new chicken owners-newness has not worn off yet for the kids). I noticed on one of the hens my son was holding had what looked to me like fleas attached around her eyes. Now my family raised chickens YEARS ago when I was young. I do remember using 7dust to treat the chickens for mites and such. Is there anything else that may be more effective for these pests. I have my chicken pen inside my horse pasture with a 10' x12' coop and a wired in 20' x15' open area. So I do need to be careful of what is used so that it does not affect my horse or dog that runs loose out back. Would 7dust work or is there something better.
Also I do know that these specific chickens have been vaccinated for Maereks disease. Is there any other vaccinations I should be looking into? We are located in central west Florida to give you an idea of what kind of weather we deal with-very hot and been raining a lot lately. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom