Parasitic disgustingness and nice wholesome leeches

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I was digging up a section of yard to build a tunnel for training terriers and finding tons of those big white grubs. I was tossing them to the chickens as I found them when I came across one that seemed to be tangled in a clump of roots. I started trying to pull the clump of roots off it when I realized they weren't roots . . . they were some sort of parasite spilling out of the grub. They looked like huge white nematodes. I flushed the grub and its parasites down the toilet because I was too disgusted to think to do anything else with it (including, stupidly, to take a picture). I would like to know if anyone has a clue what these parasites were, and if they affect chickens in any way.
I also wanted to ask if anyone feeds leeches to their chickens. I catch leeches all the time, and even though I see other birds eating them I've been hesitant to see how my chickens like them. They aren't exactly as wholesome looking as other bugs I grab for the hens, but then again, I've never seen a leech with repulsive root looking nematode maggots exploding from its belly.
sickbyc.gif

If you can't tell, that thing traumatized me slightly, which is saying a lot since I adore bugs.

Too bad you flushed that grub! Those were likely beneficial nematodes.

Japanese beetles are a big problem for many gardeners, and they overwinter in the soil as those big fat grubs. One of the ways to control the beetles is to apply beneficial nematodes to the soil. The nematodes basically attack and eat the grubs.

Nematodes look just like what you describe: they are typically stringy, white worms. They don't bother other animals like chickens. I'm sure the chickens would eat them, too, but they won't likely get to them on their own as the nematodes live so deep in the soil.

I had thought the beneficial nematodes stayed much smaller . . . I've never seen pictures of them that size. I'm glad to know they probably aren't something that could infect my chickens.

Perhaps nematodes can swim?? The septic probably goes right back to where you found them.

Question though..do chickens eat japanese beetles? Scarf 'em up before they make grubs?

Will chickens eat Japanese beetles? HAH! What do you think?

They would INHALE them!

Well, at least mine would. I just don't have any in my yard to give them. *sniff* *sniff*

Oh, YUCK. I realize all these insectoids are a necessary part of the ecosystem, but anything slimy and wormy gives me the creeps (except snakes... I like snakes!).

Back
Top Bottom