parent and young pigeons pairing advice

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by chickenshiha, Mar 28, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Yesterday my female magpie got eaten by a fox at night and the male is alone and need to get a female but magpie are very rare here and I don't want to cross breed so I was thinking if I could get any female breed and mix them they would have one magpie cross and one other cross and if the female magpie cross offspring be mated with the magpie dad I know it will be long but I'm a breeder and love pure breeding

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Sorry for your loss. You would think the magpie could avoid a fox unless he gained entry to your loft. Then again I lost two homers to a fox in broad day light. Hope you can locate a magpie near by it would save a lot of hassle.

3. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    thanks you reply fast but can you answer my question please I can't find any magpie

4. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. husso

husso Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Cross breeding isnt imposible but it takes time keep them in a seperate box and keep your eyes on them to check behaviour it should work but it will take time for them to pair sometimes 1-2 months

6. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    yes i know that cross breeding isnt impossible but i got female cross bred pigeon and the male magpie looks like hes taking a liking to her cooing and stuff to her but if the do get a magpie cross with magpie gene in it and then pair the offspring to the dad after it matures will they get magpies and also if i was to get a female maltese pigeon and cross it with the magpie will they look like magpies or maltese as the are almost the same but the beak

7. husso

husso Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    The genes will be mostly from the male try mixing it with a normal homer and inbreed the squabs

8. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    this might be crazy but what does inbreed mean and does it have to be a homer?

9. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

10. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    ok thanks thats all the info i need is there any breeds that are similar to the magpie or what was the magpie bred from to create it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by