Parenting Question Poll Style =)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Camelot Farms, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Yes, he should have a job to teach him responsibility.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, he should be working on his license 1st, then a job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Here is the dilemma. DS is 17. He would like to get a job, however, he REFUSES to drive. In our state he could have his full license by now. He just finally got his permit because after 18 months I threatened punishment if he didnt go get it. Since he got it, he has never used it.

He REFUSES to drive our Chevy Silverado Pickup. Its a 2002 Farm Truck. Its not like another dent would be noticeable.
    He will ONLY drive our 2008 Dodge Avenger if DD isnt in the car with us.

DH drives the car to work. 6am-6-9pm leaving me with the truck
    I Homeschool DD so there are not many times when she isnt with us.

So my question is...Am I wrong not to let him get a job? This would mean that I would be responsible for driving to and from whatever job he gets. Early mornings on weekends, late nights on school nights etc.

What is the point of getting a job if you have no license and no initiative to get one? Will I be driving him back and forth forever?
    And if he has no license, he doesnt need any money cause he cant go anywhere or do anything anyways.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I whole heartedly agree with you. [​IMG]

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    if he can't walk or ride a bicycle to work, then I wouldn't cart him around at 17. Learning how to drive and getting a car is the reason most folks get a job in the first place. [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Option #3- He has to get a job and then has to pay you 50%+ of his paycheck as his personal chauffeur. There are no bad sides of this for you. Boychild will be working instead of just sitting around. He will be encouraged to get his license just to get rid of you. YOU will make some bonus cash to do with as you please.

Has he offered any reason as to why he won't drive other than it's easier to make you do it?

5. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    I'd come up with some sort of comprimise. Let him get the job on the premise that you will take him to and fro, ONLY IF he will agree to get his license. If the job goes well, and he starts to like making some money, he may very well gain enough interest in getting that license on his own... something to think about
    [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No way that i would drive him to a job..
    He's got to just DO it... Its life...
    If he wants a job and responsibility ..he needs to grow-up and start driving...

Although..i would ask him if he wants you to work more with him on his driving..(take him driving and stuff..)..
    Have him drive (with you) the routes to and from the most likely work places, just so he can be more at ease behind the wheel and the area that he'll be driving in....

I know how it is to not want to drive... i hate to drive too...
    I'll only drive in our local areas... the few small towns surrounding us., because i know the streets and area....
    But dont even dare ask me to drive to the city, or in an area that i dont know well...
    I'd get lost..and end up in the wrong lanes..and cause a pile up... [​IMG]

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ide say if he wants a job hes gotta get his license and drive himself back and forth.
    edited to agree with the person above me

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. Camelot Farms

Quote:He says our truck is too big to learn on. Well sooorrryyyy about his luck. Ya drive what its the driveway ya know? lol
    He says DD never shuts up and so he wont drive with her in the car.
    Excuses, excuses, excuses.

[​IMG]

I am liking the chauffer fee idea. That has potential.

9. Camelot Farms

Quote:Thats the thing Wendy...he WONT get behind the wheel.

He REFUSES to drive our Chevy Silverado Pickup. Its a 2002 Farm Truck. Its not like another dent would be noticeable.
    He will ONLY drive our 2008 Dodge Avenger if DD isnt in the car with us.

DH drives the car to work. 6am-6-9pm leaving me with the truck
    I Homeschool DD so there are not many times when she isnt with us.

Options are slim with those perameters.[​IMG]

10. Camelot Farms

Quote:Right. Thats what I have offered til I am blue in the face. He wont get behind the wheel. See post one for the crazy details. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by