Parents are Coming

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by herfrds, Jul 30, 2010.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    My parents are coming up here in a couple of weeks to visit.
    They have not been up to our place for about 3 or more years. We only live around 4 hours apart. they have visted my sister in Kansas more often then they ever have me.

Well they are neat freaks. I mean serious neat freaks.
    I have been given "the warning" that my house had better be clean or else.

Now we are not slobs, but somethings just don't get done every single day. Like dusting, especially now with the harvest going and the construction of our new house. Dust is flying everywhere.
    Sometimes the laundry doesn't get folded right away or the floors swept right after every meal.

Last time they had come up the family and I went nuts cleaning everything that would stand still. washed walls, ceilings and everything put away. Did everything possible. It was Thanksgiving.
    I walked out in the middle of cooking because my mother was standing over my shoulder telling me how filthy my house was and how ashamed I should be.

I know it won't be any different this time. I'm seriously thinking of renting them a motel room and they can stay there.

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    OMG My Mother had a tile that said "My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy" I have that tile now and it sits with reverance in my kitchen.

A house is meant to have some dust and junk. Life is too short to go crazy cleaning all the time. Clean is good, spotless is nuts

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    There is nothing wrong with getting them a hotel room. Use the construction card as long as you can.

Also, we'll make you a tile. [​IMG]

4. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I love that saying.[​IMG]

will have see if a room is available.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    A clean house is a sign of an empty mind.

A creative mess is better than idyll tidiness.

Those are just a few of the sayings that I was reminded of.

Does it ever make you wonder what you did to your parents to engender such anger towards you and your family. I always have been of the belief that it is a parents job is to love and be loving, and respectful of their children even as adults. Unless you and your spouse are homeless meth addicts, there isn't much I can think of that is worthy of the stress, that such rude behavior by your parents that could be justified.

I also wouldn't hesitate to allow my visiting family members clean house if it doesn't meet their standard of care. If this continues I wouldn't hesitate to reserve a room at a hotel in Kansas. Everyone will be happier and more comfortable. I know that for the most part it isn't worth starting world war 3 over, but darn it anyhow.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Good grief... get a hotel for them if they're so obsessive, everyone will be happier...

7. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    I was thinking that if it bothers THEM why don't THEY get the hotel room, that way they can't complain to you if something is wrong with the hotel. [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    See..this is how i am...
    I'd use it as a chance to get my house cleaned FOR me...
    "Mom, if you want my house cleaned.. go on ahead and do it for me, please. "
    Its never failed to work for me yet... [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:LOLOL! Oh my mother would kill me if I said that! She really would clean it up and call me a slob! Even with three people, I can not imagine how much of a mess this house goes on.

As for the motel, she would complain, thats for sure!

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Hand your mom a rag and bottle of windex, and tell her to have fun. [​IMG] Seriously, though, I'm sorry. It can be so stressful when family visits. Wishing you the best through it all. I second the hotel idea, gets them out of your hair at least at night and early in the morning. I think that can help lower the stress level. Or...get a hotel for YOU! LOL good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by