Parents arrested for failure to register homeschooled kids

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Boyd, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    School attendance is a federal law and if you home school you are required to notify the Public Education Dept. in your state in some cases such as theirs you are required to register your curriculum and also participate in state mandated testing. For the testing you can take your kids to the school they would be attending if they were enrolled, for testing.

3. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I know but the state and school district let it go on for soooooooooooooooo long. Why didn't they just use the telephone? Their kids curriculum was approved immediately and their testing is up to date.

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I believe that is a.................[​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You have to register your curriculum here in CA too for home schooled kids. Around here their are groups of parents that get together once a month to go over studies and get help from each other. Test scores have to be submitted to the local school district too.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I know, it sounds like "Ooops we screwed up, let's blame the parents!" But then the parents didn't do their part either. I'm assuming they moved from another state that had different laws such as NM. We have to register with PED but not the local district. I got in trouble when I was home schooling Steven that way, I didn't register in time.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Yes, when I homeschooled in Washington, I had to notify the state dept. of education. It was extremely easy to do and once done there was no interference from the state.

8. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:in these parents cases they were both arrested, got a ticket to appear in court and now Child protective services is involved. Sheesh. I just see this as a major over-reaction rather than a blatant stab at the home schooling parents.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Thats a shame they did not look into the district home school laws,or maybe they misunderstood them somehow.Hopefully things will be corrected with little in the way of fines and county restrictions/CPS activity. I homeschooled on and off here in Ohio,and it was not difficult to get approval once I had a curriculum outline and testing results. I did testing at home through piedmont(NC),and the results were sent to me.

I recall looking into other state homeschool laws,and OK was the one I remember because you did not have to file anything....atleast it was like that years ago.

10. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The story didn't mention if the state department or local district gave them some notification that they needed to file a plan with them before taking such drastic measures. I was assuming they had and the parents ignored it. That does seem a bit extreme if that was their first notice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by