Parents/Fosters/Adoptive parents

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by debilorrah, Jan 15, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How do you manage a child that need CONSTANT supervision? This comes from a post about a dog attacking a child. Robert consistently "over loves" on the dog and the cat, sometimes to the point that we have to holler loudly and rip him away from them. He has improved GREATLY, but he doesn't quite get that these pets are living beings.

Also, how do you help a child understand that a constant requests repeated over and over again is not to their best interest? I can see Robert improving daily, and it also brings new questions up.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My dogs are never left alone with the kids, ever. Period. Cats are MUCH harder though, cause they run all over my house...
    I have a baby gate that seperates my kitchen from our living rooms...When i'm not upstairs the dogs are behind the baby gate in my kitchen.
    Animals are NEVER ever allowed in the kids rooms either.... not even my cats. The bedroom doors are kept closed to prevent any animals getting in there and i dont know about it.

As for the repested requests.. its kinda hard, as Robert is still so young.
    If it were myself, when he made repeated requests, i'd just remind him what you just told him.
    Something like, "Robert, Remember that you just asked me this question... And what did i tell you?..What was my answer? Tell me.."

I dont know... something like that...
    I'm sure folks with young kids will chime in and give you lots of good ideas! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

It's tough Debi, Just hang in there. No advise, but I'll be thinking good thoughts. It'll get better as he grows up. Glad to hear he's improving.

4. debilorrah

Quote:Micro is 8 lbs and he is crated at night. It is common for us to find Robert overloving either of them to the point of concern. Micro is small enough to hide if he can. The cat, Mr. Yackers, is really good with kids and just sits there, letting him do whatever to him!!!! Robert has a few scratches from the overloving part. Not bad ones either. I need to know how to show this inept child that animals are living beings and need respect.

5. debilorrah

Quote:Thanks!!! [​IMG] We still cannot manage to get a SS# from the incubator..... Which is really tickingme off.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    You mean like this?

[​IMG]

LOLOL

7. debilorrah

Quote:No more like holding the cat like that over the edge of the couch pressing his body down.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'd have "classes" with him...
    Every day, sit down and,.. show him how to pet the animals nicely...
    also show him whats NOT accepatable when touching/petting animals...
    You can also come up with some type of role playing sessions with stuffed animals...tell him that this stuffed pup is Micro and to play with it.....
    See HOW he treats it. If hes rough with it... SHOW him a different way to "play" with Micro or kitty.

I dont know... its hard cause he wasnt raised by you.... so who knows what he was taught before.. (i can only imagine)

Or theres always duct tape...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  9. debilorrah

Quote:LOL Duct tape!!!! We are trying to show him, but then we find him in a compromising postion. His incubator repeatedly locked him a romm to scream. We are doing our best to reverse that. He seems to understand being gentle, but without supervision, some instincts kick in that are not acceptable.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Maybe some books with animal characters, or about animals? If he is squeezing the animal or laying on it with too much force, ask him to think what it would be like if someone that much larger did it to him. Talk gently, and by his responses guide him to the understanding that it would hurt. But you will still have to supervise and set limits.

As for repetition, he is a kid. Memory is limited to the present and sometimes the immediate past. You can make a game of asking him things over and over, you can simply say "that's the way it is."

The younger the child, the smaller/tighter the boundaries need to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by