Parents out there, toddler fussing advise plz!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    My son is 17 months old and has started fussing routinely between 230 and 4pm. No fever, nothing I can point at. Just nothing makes him happy. He normally takes a nap from 10ish to noonish, then has lunch. After that he seems happy enough until that timeframe rolls around. Then he starts trying to play with all the 'no-no' stuff; pulling things off counters, trying to climb onto the back of the couch, standing on chairs, etc. I stop him and then it just goes down hill. He will either sit there and scream or make a b-line for that cabinet that doesn't latch or cat food dishes, whatever.

Anyone have ideas? He has tons of toys, I tried sesame street(his fav tv show), putting him down for a second nap, holding him, snacks, nothing has worked.

Please help; I have no idea what to do at this point...

2. foxy2320

foxy2320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    He's tired and cranky. At that age I would opt for only an afternoon nap and forego the morning nap. Usually by that age they're down to one a day, and the afternoon breaks up the day a little more evenly for them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, I will try shifting his nap over. It will probably take a week or so to get there 100%, but it will be worth it in the end.

4. foxy2320

foxy2320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    He could also be starting to get some two year molars, but it seems to me since it's always around the same time of day it is related to being tire.

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Both my kids were in a daycare center,(I think they really have a handle on what works for kids of this age)
    11:15 lunch,
    then potty time
    Then nap starting at 12-2
    Then free play till 3:15, snack at 3:15 ish.
    Parent pick up no later then 5:30

Hope this helps, I would think he would be tired, but you never mentioned what time of day he gets out've bed? My kids were always up by 6 am, cause we had to go..

It also could be those terrible two's. starting early..
    I can't list all the "terribles" for ages on this site, as this is a family friendly site.. But they have a name for the 3's and 4's too ;)

Good luck! Just think of it as a free work out, without having to leave your house!

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    So far so good! I moved his nap up to noon-2. He normally gets up just before 7, but today he actually slept until 8:30. I think it's a combo of simple, normal tiredness and maybe a growth spurt. For the foreseeable future though I think we will be doing a noon nap. He is certainly much happier today!

Thank you everyone for the advise. His nap time had been working so well for so long it never occurred to me to change it.

7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

That's awesome, so good to hear he's happier today :) Great news, He's lucky to have such a great Mommy that worries about these things, He's lucky to have such a caring Mom!!!

8. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Glad it worked!
    A cranky tip is to get a bean bag chair. My DS knows when he's going to throw a fit/tantrum to go to his bean bag chair and do it. Just took awhile of taking him there before he figured it out. I figure it's healthy for him to get all that emotion out.

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Thanks. We had actually been looking into getting him a bean bag chair to replace his bouncer. He has started climbing all over that thing...

10. litmisredneck

litmisredneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    [​IMG]

He is getting over tired. I was lucky to get my son down for a nap at that age. But i let him run 90 to nothing in the morning, snack around 10 ish and lunch from 12- 12:30 ish, he got 30 down time t watch cartoons and off for a nap by 1. He slept from 1-3ish sometimes more, sometimes less. by dinner time he was wearing down again and he ate dinner, had a bath and snuggled for a bit and bed at 8. This worked for us, but of course all kids are different. Hope it helps and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by