1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Parents who have full access to their kid's Facebook account?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Moochie, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    What's your opinion on it?
    IMHO, it's an invasion of privacy. My friend's mother has full access to her account, and is very strict on her actions. My friend had a crush on a korean fellow, and her mom blocked him. I have talked to him, he seems... Overly nice. Calls everyone sweetheart, love, my dearest, pretty.. Most of his friends are girls anyways. He mostly posts pictures of food and pictures of himself smiling. He has a ton of profile pictures!
    Actually all her mother does is play Farmville on her daughter's account and go through her messages, notifications, yadda yadda.
    I have 3 extra Facebook accounts just in case my parents go super protecto on me. Her grandmother also has access to her Facebook account. WHAT THE?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    As long as my kids are under 18 and live in my house I have full access, to all their online activities.
    I do trust my kids for the most part, it's just everyone else I dont.
    It's my responsibility to ensure their safety.

I also have security software on their pc that tracks things.

Now, even with all that, I have never accessed any of their accounts. I've not had a reason to.
    I hope my kids never go sneaky on my and go behind my back and make other accounts, but if they do, I will be able to access them, and they know if they did, there would go every bit of trust.

If you aren't doing anything wrong or underhanded, why would you need to sneak behind your parents backs with 3 other accounts?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    At least the parents still allow it. [​IMG] My mom is an IT manager, dealing with network security, so naturally with the fact that sites like Facebook are indeed dangerous, she doesn't allow any of her kids to use it, MySpace, or Twitter. Although using it outside our personal network I guess is okay.

Honestly though how in the world are parents doing that? It's not like parents these days are hackers or something. . . ? [​IMG] They can take away internet from their kids and they can keep track of what they're doing, but they can't log in or such unless the kid is that submissive to allow it.

My two cents.

4. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:key loggers.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    You want to be able to go online, you have no privacy in this house. period. Does this mean I do not trust my children? no, but there are plenty of shady people online, and frankly teenagers aren't known for having the best judgement.

If i found out my kid set up dummy facebook accounts (sidenote the PTA out here covered this last year, how to find extra accounts, etc) they would not have access to the internet at all untill I deemed they had developed sense. Say age 18. Untill then i'm fully and legally responsiable for them.

6. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:key loggers.

Not even that, there are dead easier ways to find it. Your mom's in IT and you don't think she can? good grief girl.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Not 18; 25? maybe. Easy to develop trust; very difficult to RE-develop it.

That said, a friend of my son's mother "lurks" his facebook and comments on many/most of his posts; my son and his friends find that over the top. I agree, as do other moms.

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:My Parents have my facebook and email Passwords along with they are my FB friends.

9. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    i think its important for parents to monitor their children's internet usage, and facebook is a really easy way to gain dangerous information from someone. its not about using it to see who your kids are hanging out with, that's an invasion of their privacy, sure. but making sure they aren't providing personal information to strangers is important. Heck, there was something my sister in law posted the other day, one of those silly "repost this..." things, asking for her place of birth. Of course, place of birth is a fairly common security question. share it unknowingly with strangers on the internet, and you might as well be handing over the password to your bank account. Any survey that asks things like "what was your first car?" or "what was your first pet's name?"- those are pretty common security questions, and while it might seem fun and harmless to answer those things, its really not safe. Kids and teens don't often think things like that through. So not only is personal safety an issue, so is identity security.

10. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Not 18; 25? maybe. Easy to develop trust; very difficult to RE-develop it.

That said, a friend of my son's mother "lurks" his facebook and comments on many/most of his posts; my son and his friends find that over the top. I agree, as do other moms.

That I would not do, I have the "chill house" among the kids. They come by after school, get homework help if they need it (i'm a retired teacher), and a snack, sometimes dinner. They each know I can see the kids' accounts, but so long as they're not doing something dangerious or profoundly stupid, I won't step in. That said, my boys are both tall, handsome, and athletic, and plenty of teen girls think nothing of taking photos and sending them to boys. I won't have my son in trouble because some girl does something stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by