parisites?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Donnah23, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Donnah23

Donnah23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    what r the signs?, parasites?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Signs of external parasites include weakness (caused by loss of blood), lethargy, black "dirt" around the vent/neck/head/under the feathers, small moving specks (the mites or lice), raised scales on the legs, scabs on the comb, loss of feathers, and overall disheveled appearance.

Internal parasites (like worms) cause weakness, too. They can also cause a bird to not gain weight, to be thin, have a pale comb/wattles, and to be unthrifty overall. You may also see worms or worm eggs in the droppings.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. Donnah23

Donnah23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    so if they have mites, or worms? what do i do? i noticed there was black,like i guess dirt, they have been scratching, and i now notice the skin,looks pink,reddish. one chick,keeps laying alone. they r two weeks old?i tried to move the heat lamp up, but they seemed like they needed it back,they were cuddling? so what can i do. i have been changing, food,water,i have cleaned the ire whole house tree times already? my husband thinks i am reading to much into it. he is making them a huge brooder, that is going to b ready tomorrow. how can i get rid of this ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by