Parking lot chick! Advice needed please!

Henhouse Harlot

Songster
Feb 25, 2022
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Today a while visiting a friend, one of her hens appeared with three brand new babies, so cute! Then we noticed one wasn't doing so well. The tiniest chick was laying down a lot, and the hen kept stepping on it as though she meant to. (Cull the weak?)
Well, of COURSE I had to scoop it up, dash home, and set up an emergency brooder for this ball of fluff.
(Dang chicken math! I had no choice!! 😋 @BaaKaaawk will understand 😊)

I'd just finished brooding 40-something babies, and so I had everything I needed. She's been sleeping inside my top, and I've been "finger feeding" her. First water with "Sav-a-Chick added", and a bit of wet starter mash. I have a box set up with chopped straw, a warm and a cool side, a heat lamp on one, food and water on the other... But I'm not completely sure what I'm doing! Not exactly... I've never hatched chicks, only gotten them from the feed store/hatchery.
I'm certain there are threads/articles explaining how to care for a "failure to thrive" chick hatched by a hen? (It wasn't a planned hatching) However I'm not sure what to look up, or where.
So! Please, 🙏
Could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you all so much!!!

I'll give this a bump so maybe we can get other opinions. I've raised a bunch of natural chicks (and store bought) and unfortunately I have not had good luck saving those that go down early. Sometimes something is just not right inside... it's terribly sad. I wish you luck, but I think what you are doing sounds like the best thing you can do.

I have saved a weak chick before but this was from a hatching egg and not from a brooding hen.

The most important part is making sure it's eating and drinking regularly and it stays warm. If the chick is under a week old it will require a lot of sleeping time. If it has issues with it's health try to diagnose it early to help it along. Monitoring the chick will be helpful.

I gave her a hot rice sock and water with a tsp of black strap molasses in it ASAP, she JUST ate a bit of mash too! I'm still trying to get her to eat and drink on her own. I dipped her beak in the water (is that right??), and tried to do the dip thing again. She seems more alert though! I'll keep you all updated if you like, and super cute pictures to follow! Thank you for your help!!!

I had one weakling (jury's still out on her) I took one of the tiny Rubbermaid containers (like a take-a-long salad dressing container. Filled it half full with sugar water (maybe 1/8th cub) then mixed a raw egg yolk in and give fed that by dipping her beak in. Made a huge difference. Thought she was dead/dying Sunday night, did this all day Monday every hour or two, she's still alive and eating on her own again.

You can see the teaspoon I've been feeding her with, near my shoulder, lol, she's cute as a little button! I've put a mirror and a tiny stuffed toy in her enclosure. BUT, will she be okay on her own?? I really don't have room for more chicks! Eek.

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_155700596_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220407_155700596_HDR.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220408_113331743.jpg
    IMG_20220408_113331743.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220407_155349542_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220407_155349542_HDR.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 5
Report!
Jewels is pretty alert, still not eating/drinking very much. A bite/sip once an hour, approximately. I've mixed the chick starter with some warm molasses water, I've also offered warm scrambled egg and whole milk Nancy's yogurt. Do babies just hatched need to eat the first couple days? I know the egg yolk sustains them during shipping, and I'm pretty sure this one just hatched yesterday...thoughts? She's really not eating much. I've seen one fairly watery poo.

I had one weakling (jury's still out on her) I took one of the tiny Rubbermaid containers (like a take-a-long salad dressing container. Filled it half full with sugar water (maybe 1/8th cub) then mixed a raw egg yolk in and give fed that by dipping her beak in. Made a huge difference. Thought she was dead/dying Sunday night, did this all day Monday every hour or two, she's still alive and eating on her own again.
Brilliant! I'll try that now 🙏😊

I have saved a weak chick before but this was from a hatching egg and not from a brooding hen.

The most important part is making sure it's eating and drinking regularly and it stays warm. If the chick is under a week old it will require a lot of sleeping time. If it has issues with it's health try to diagnose it early to help it along. Monitoring the chick will be helpful.
Luckily, I can monitor her 24-7! She's asleep in the top of my shirt right now. She seems to prefer being held?

Back
Top Bottom