Parking the Tractor for Winter.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bigmrg74, Nov 11, 2014.

1. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    The Witch Of November is coming for us here in Michigan, and while I might be down in the Banana Belt compared to some of those up in the Yooperland and Northern Lower Michigan, I'm thinking that I might as well plan on parking my tractor this week due to the nasty weather that's coming. Right now the Tractor is out in the yard and I've covered the upper part of the run part of it with shower curtains to keep the wind down and keep the girls from getting wet. My plan for parking the tractor is pulling it up close to the side of the garage, which will block most of the wind out of the west that way, and to put straw bales around it to further block wind around it, along with probably putting some straw inside of the run. Mostly, I want to just leave it there to give the girls a place to get a little fresh air and sunshine during nice days during the winter. I also have a small shed that I need to finish making a few modifications to allow them to us it as their night coop.

The thing is with the shed is that its a little further out than what I would want to run an extension cord out to to run a heated water bowl to it, and to top it all off, the cord would have to cross a spot where we're likely to plow and push snow through. And I really haven't seen any really cheap and easy set up to do that with solar power. I figure with this set up, I can run a cord to the tractor behind the garage to a heated waterier there, and then when I put the girls to bed out in the shed, I could just have a shallow pan of water out there to allow them to have something to drink before they crash for the night.

Anybody else have any ideas and suggestions for me??

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]