Parlor Roller Pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Smf0723, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Smf0723

Smf0723 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Hey I am going to get Parlor Rolling Pigeons and wanted to know some stuff about them, but whenever I look on google it gives me something on a different kind of pigeon. Do any of you know anything about them or know any good websites on them. And I also want to know how to build a Pigeon house or coop so if you could post some pictures and how you made them on this thread. Thankyou.

2. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    have you tried parlor rollers .com

3. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    The next issue of purebred pigeon is the parlor roller issue. there are several very good articles in it. if you dont have a subscription you can order it online. larryslofts is right, there are several good articles on the parlor roller site. let me know if you have any other questions id be happy to try and help

4. Smf0723

Apr 12, 2012
    I have alot more questions and one of them is about the pigeon house or pigeon coop. I dont know how tall it should be, and what all I need. Do any of you have pictures of pigeon houses or pigeon coops and if you do could you please post pictures of them. thankyou.

5. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    ive heard eighteen inch high cage, is optimal (guessing because leaves just enough room to stretch wings. no or low perches, but heard the mature birds come into and roll much better if you fly the young birds. i dont have any yet but not makes sense to let them fly and get used to trying and build muscle until they are grounded. then later through life, starting them will make them try to fly ect..

6. Smf0723

Apr 12, 2012
    Parlor roller pigeons don't fly

7. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    Parlors fly until they a few months old. When mine stop flying they usually start rolling

8. laughingdog

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    ive got five parlor tumbler chicks starting to feather in right now and the one has been rolling around from start, and keeps rolling out of nest now, but doesnt seem to hurt itself or notice, but when first hatched for days id find it or watch it flip over till it got stuck on back.. so curious now if itll fly till mature, or just be grounded from day one??? ive heard the young fly for one to three or even up to six months in parlors in general, and the other four dont seem to be tumbling or rolling yet except one other doing maybe vary rarely, so wondering how this one will turn out.

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Sounds like it will be Dizzy most of it's life. (Just my two cents worth).

10. laughingdog

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    thats the odd and interesting part, is that with personalities developing, this one doesnt seem shy or upset or off feed (its actually quite the little piggle at feeding time), and seems perfectly normal with and aside from rolling around when excited. i know proof was shown that the parlor roller, birmingham roller, and some tumbler varieties will stop rolling all together when given siezure meds, as studies and experiments show and some start to roll ect again when meds were stopped, but also the rolling/tumbling was originally natural trait to evade predators that was just utilized for amusement. so very curious as to why its not seeming stressed by this happening yet, as hear some parlor and birm lines people keep and can only get to roll or roll good by seeming to create low blood sugar or something by sevierly limiting feed and nutrient intake, and those lines will just stop trying to fly and only walk around unless really forced to fly by some means, showing those are uncomfortable, afraid of and know not supposed to or enjoy, or hurts them. others oddly do seem to do it more and only when happy, as some of my rollers do, and not only when startled or stretching wings or try to fly or jump as some of my parlors. im led to believe that there maybe two things or two forms of the rollers/tumblers, and one stress siezure related, and one something maybe else. i want to collect data and do a paper on, but without finding other more sciency wierdos like myself its slow going to try to do with limited resourses to do my own experiments currently.

if it seemed stressed by or in any pain or such by it id either try to do med experiments for siezures, or more likely if bad problems or discomfort, would have and would put down quick and humanely.

thank you, and i welcome any and all input.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by