parrot bird seed OK/

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by nettleville, Aug 9, 2009.

1. nettleville

nettleville Hatching

Aug 8, 2009
    SE GA
    I have a huge bag of parrot bird seed that I bought to put in my bird feeders outside. We have alot of redbirds, bluejays,etc. Can I treat my chickens with this or is there something in it that would make them sick?[​IMG]
    Thanks
    Nettleville

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sure it is OK. I've given cage bird seed w/o problem. Wouldn't make it a steady diet though.

Imp

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chirping

Jul 3, 2009
    Well, my hens get the "left overs" from our parrots. The parrots are quite wasteful and what falls to the trays include plenty of whole seeds. My hens do just fine with the seed but I would make sure they have plenty of grit to break down the hulls. The hens eat the whole seed and the grit will break it down.

And about parrot seed for wild birds - parrots have beaks designed to crack open the shells and their tongue deftly splits the seed from the hull. Most wild birds won't be able to process the harder shelled seeds in parrot food...

4. chookchick

chookchick Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I give my hens a couple of handfuls of bird seed every morning. I kick it into the wood chip in their run, and they can spend all day hunting it down. I use the shell-less mixes, that are higher protein. They love it!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Not exactly related, but I make suet for the outside birds. It's been too hot to turn on the stove the last couple weeks, so I've bought the suet. The birds won't touch it. It's cooler now so tonight I think I'll be making suet again.
    If the wildbirds won't eat the parrot food you could try putting it into suet.

Imp

6. max101

max101 Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    what is suet? I am from australia do you know if we have it. Can you make it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: