Parrot cage placement

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by ownedbymybird, Oct 19, 2016.

1. ownedbymybird

ownedbymybird Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    I need to know some things about cage placement. I know that you should put them where they are next to a wall. And no windows. But what if it is not possible to put it on a wall or 2. Or not next to a window. My birds cage is not in the middle of the room, but its on a side but the back of the cage that should be on a wall is on a small window.

2. Birdlover 13

Birdlover 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    South Africa
    Iv'e read that putting the cage next to a window is fine, because the parrot can be entertained while watching what happens outside. Just make sure it's not in direct sunlight.
    Hope this helped

3. ownedbymybird

Oct 10, 2016
    Thanks @Birdlover 13
    that did help

4. Natural Mama

Natural Mama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Littleton, Colorado
    Absolutely put the bird's cage next to a window unless you have a very nervous, flighty bird and the sights out of the window are causing them stress. Most birds love being able to look out of a window. I am a Veterinary Technician of 11 years and I have always worked at avian practices.

Hilary

5. ownedbymybird

Oct 10, 2016
    Thank you that makes me feel good that a vet could help me with that @Natural Mama

6. Natural Mama

Natural Mama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Littleton, Colorado
    I am a Tech, not a Vet but I have extensive experience with birds and I was hired at my current clinic specifically because of that avian experience. I'm glad that I could help.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Make sure the bird will not be in direct hot sunshine for long periods of time next to a window. Some birds are nervous being too close to windows. I found that my Cockateils did really well along the wall next to a window, but not directly in front of it. They could see out at an angle, but the sun was never a huge deal, neither were the constant Hawks and Ravens that fly our skies that did frighten my birds a bit sometimes. Good luck! :)

8. ownedbymybird

Oct 10, 2016
    thanks TwoCrows, it is not in direct sunlight. I have an amazon and he doesnt get nervous about anything really :D

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by