Parrot Leg Bands... Where do I buy them?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by texascowboy1979, Aug 15, 2010.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, apperently i have not had much luck, or I might not know what Im looking for. I know its too late to get my African grey a Closed leg Band, but I can still use an open leg band. I need to find leg bands for my African Grey. The paper work on "Hunter" Came back this week as male.... I found Hunter a girl friend with paper work that shows she's a girl.... but was named before she was sexed so she has a boys name. Im picking her up in 2 weeks... but she does not have a leg band... and I want both Hunter and his girlfriend to both be banded so theres no question who's who. Easiery on eye identification..

Where do you recommend or suggest I find Leg bands. I appriciate all your help.

2. trishamonks

trishamonks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    hi i know theres a place here in ireland that do leg bands their on line too its maceoinltd.ie their in kerry and very cheap on price too dont know if this helps but its a tought

3. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried using the website maceoinltd.ie you gave me... and it wont load.

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    There are several different band suppliers. We used L & M for a number of years. You might try them. I am not sure what they offer in open bands though as we always used closed bands. http://www.lmbirdlegbands.com/

5. metraideanne

metraideanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    My first thought was; "Why would you band your parrots?"

My conure has twice injured himself on his closed band. Luckily it has not been a severe injury. I had the bands on both my birds removed and I keep them in a safe place if I ever need them for some reason.

I keep both my birds wings clipped so I have no fear of them getting lost.

The avian vet I take my birds to recommends band removal due to injury potential.

Perhaps you have a reason I haven't thought of. Just wanted to share with you the reasons not to band if you have not already become aware of them.

Sounds like you are breeding... I think you will find it very easy to tell which bird is who if they are still part of the family rather than breeding stock.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

check on ebay -- I have seen several types of bands from different suppliers (and yes, L & M is on there, too) that offer quite a variety of sizes and styles. I've seen the plastic "loop" kind, and I ordered some that, for lack of a better description, are a "roll" (think of the popular "slap" wrist bands, but without the slapping part [​IMG] ) they can be unrolled, placed around the leg, and then they return to the rolled position. They can be removed by a determined bird, (and yes, some of my 'tiels did take theirs off), but they are also easily replaced. I find it a better option than the "open" metal bands (too dangerous, IMHO).

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    magnoliabirdfarms.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by