Parrot owner w/ chicken questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wegotchickens, Jul 23, 2007.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    A friend is considering adding 3 hens to a multi-pet household. She asked me if I thought there would be any danger to her parrot, whom she's had for 20 years. Are there any special concerns?
    (I recommended this site, but since she hasn't asked I thought I would.)

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i would say the parrot would get the chickens... when we had chicks in the house my parrot named pedro got crazy, when we let them meet, he bit them - HARD; im pretty sure that the parrot would be fine. and really what would a hen do to a parrot?

3. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    We have a parrot and chickens (among other pets) and our main concern is disease. There are some that can pass between the two, but as long as they never have contact with each other and you wash your hands after handling and caring for the chickens, there should be no problem. Our parrot is indoors and has no illnesses, so it is mostly the chickens, which have contact with wild birds, that could pass something on. There was something recently in Bird Talk mag. about wild bird diseases, and it sounded like the risk was minimal except to parrots kept in outdoor aviaries.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Thanks mtnchicks!
    That's kinda what I'd thought, too. That good hygiene (sp?) was the biggest thing. I don't think the parrot will ever meet the chickens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by