Parrot vs chicken bio-security

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by mikki717, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    I have heard ALOT about bio-security for chicken flocks, and parrot to parrot contact.

My chicken flock lives at my friend's house, and I live there three days a week. My other home has a Green Cheeked Conure. All my birds are healthy. So far, I have made sure I change clothes and wash up when I leave the chickens and before I touch my GCC, Bibi.

Should I continue to keep the bio-security precautions? I will have Bibi with me for a full week, but I don't want her to be exposed to something that can hurt her. Any ideas?

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    yes keep it up, she will currently be going through a stressful time being in a new environment and thus more susceptible for disease

3. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    Actually, my conure Bibi is 2 1/2. I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. The chickens are 1 year old, and I got them as day old chicks. I just happen to "live" part time in two homes due to work and school. Both homes have "full time" residents, I am the only one who moves back and forth.

I was wondering if I would be able to bring the conure as in a "boarding" situation, to the home where the chicken flock resides. I guess it would be stressful that the house is different, but the people she is very familiar wth.

4. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i think 1: given these are older chickens who are unlikely to have been exposed to anything
    2: this is an older conure whos unlikely to have been exposed to anything...
    i wouldnt worry too much.

jack loves to come outside with me and watch the chickens, and other than washing my hands after handling the chickens (and thats only because of the DE) i dont practice any other extra security...if we were to introduce new chickens to the flock i would however do a few weeks of changing clothes just incase the new commers had anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by