Parrotlet Emergency

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Schultz, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Are there any Parrotlet experts out there?
    I came home from work today and my little parrotlet Pepper is not herself. She is very lethargic, doesn't want to open her eyes or interact with me. She doesn't want to eat and her feathers are kind of fluffed. She has recently been "broody" and I had to break her of it but she did pluck her chest feathers so I am not sure if her feathers are fluffed due to illness or because her chest is bald? Anyone have any ideas???

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Is she egg bound? Check around her vent area and see if there are any lumps, hard spots, or buldges. BE VERY GENTLE!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    When a parrot /bird shows of sickness..its time to get them to a vet ASAP..
    They will hide sickness VERY good..until they cant anymore...
    I'd suggest a vet...
    Keep her warm and un-stressed in the meantime....

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I checked her vent first, she does not feel hard and isn't swollen. I should have mentioned that!

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Thanks redhen, I have an emergency call into my avian vet, the cage is covered and in a quiet spot. Just waiting on a call back, thought I would see if anyone had experienced this.... [​IMG]

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok talked to the vet and I guess it is hard to tell if a parrotlet has an egg. She waled me thru how to check my girl out and sure enough, she is ready to lay which causes the symptoms I described. So I guess this is not an emergency after all, sorry for the alarm and thanks to those who offered help and encouragement. I will have the thread closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by