1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Parrotlets linnes and grasskeets

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by aldren90, Jan 17, 2011.

1. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Do parrotlets and linnies make good pets when hand fed and does anyone know of a breeder of grasskeets that ships or is in fl or south ga

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

It's my understanding that they don't even have to be hand-fed, but can be parent raised as long as they are frequently handled and socialized. As to the breeders, you might pick up a copy of Bird Talk and check the directory listings in the back -- they're laid out by state, and have breeders & other ads under each state. [​IMG]

3. aldren90

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Where can I get a bird talk

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A lot of places that carry magazines carry Bird Talk. I've seen it at the large book stores in the magazine section and pet stores. I know PetSmart carries them.

5. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    as a whole grass keets tend to be more skittish of the parakeets and are more of a looky aviary bird.

linnies and parrotlets both make exceptional pets...
    its always best if hand fed and abundance weaned, a parent raised baby can be tamed down but it tends to take ALOT of time...hand raised and youve got a potential best buddy.

parrotlets are the worlds smallest PARROT they are tiny birds but dont be fooled they are BIG personalities and closest related to the amazon parrot.
    they require a relitivly large cage for their size with the general minimum size being an 18 x 18 x 24 (but bigger is better, and yes they will use ALL that space) with ideally 1/2"-5/8" bar spacing, they are incredibly active and acrobatic parrots that require a large veriety of toys, shredders and things to climb in and on.
    they can learn to talk, though its not as common and their voices are tiny (they sound like tiny little itty bitty robots and you have to realy listen to hear them)

parrotlets are incredibly "big" litle birds, lots of energy and can be very demanding, they typically are a very dominant species and other than breeding pairs should be kept alone, they are highly prone to attacking other birds...and are not afraid of things bigger than them! this can get them into some serious trouble.

a hand raised parrotlet loves its person, but they do tend to pick one person.
    because of thier high energy level they eat a suprising LOT of food and it needs to be high quality, a good pellet with lots of fresh foods, and they will go through it fast!!!
    they eat ALOT. (infact they typically eat more than cockateils and conures lol)

they can be nippy and agressive with anyone they dont bond with...
    but will follow their favorite people anywhere!

they come in some very pretty colors too!!!!
    oh and parrotlets can have a big squeek when they want to let you know (i could hear my parrotlet from the second story) but they still make good apartment birds as there not loud/frequent screamers)

Linnies are also GREAT pets, a hand fed linnie will make a much sweeter pet than a parent raised bird. Linnies even when hand raised seem to be very warey of hands and prefer to be offered a stick or even an arm or shoulder rather than a finger...
    they are a little lower energy than parrotlets, and prefer to snuggle up in your hair or nape of your neck rather tha using you like a human jungle gym.
    they are a parakeet, so their personalities are a little less intense than a parrotlet. Most linnies will prefer their person BUT will typically go to anyone whos gentle and calm around them, there not prone to biting strangers like p-lets can be.
    they are a great size, a little bigger and more specifically stockier than the parrotlet, a tad bigger overall then the american parakeet but their tails are shorter.
    cage size would be a Minimum of 18 x 18 x 18, though an 18 x 30 x 18 is even better, they prefer a longer cage over a taller one. like the parrotlet they love having a veriety of toys but are not as active as parrotlets. they too need a 1/2-5/8" bar spacing.

they dont eat as much as the parrotlet but still need a good pellet diet and veriety of fresh foods...as a whole they particularly love apple (granny smith are the fave around here)
    my experience has been that linnies are much quieter than parrotlets overall and better talkers, linnies can be AMAZING talkers...my female is not even a year old and says hi, good morning, whatyadoing, jack, hey, night ect...and she picks up new things every day.
    my new male has only been here a few days and had no human contact beyond being fed (he was a breeder) and hes already trying to say hi and cricket (his name) hes also taming down very quickly and considering hes never been handled, he doesnt bite either...though my female will give you a good nip if shes displaed she has never broken the skin.

linnies also come in some pretty colors too.

id say either would be a great pet but i find parrotlets a little more needy.

i currently have a slate female and a green male linnie
    and in the future once i get my own place im planning on geting an am-white and a blue parrotlets.

i used to have an albino parrotlet, but he was an older rescue and passed away [​IMG]

6. aldren90

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Does anyone know about breeders ?[​IMG]. [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Try hoobly.com, kijiji.com , and google searches with your location and whatever animal plus breeder. Most breeders are online these days. Also search for parrot clubs in your area and check if there are any bird shows.

8. bagendhens

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
  9. aldren90

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Birdsnways hasn't been updated and I check hoobly kijiji everyday and I did the google check and ok results and contacted everyone I found but I am specifically looking for grasskeets breeders though but the line and parrotlets websites I will use in the near future but do you have anything for grasskeets

10. bagendhens

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    no sorry, the only experience i have with grasskeets have been with other peoples...
    i think they are beautiful, and would love one day to have an aviary with some in...but i dont have any right now so havent botherd joining any forums.

go to google and do a search for grass parakeet forum, you should could up with something most of those forums have links to or lists of breeders.

good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by