Parrots and Marek's/Other Diseases

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by OrangeJuice, Dec 3, 2012.

1. OrangeJuice

OrangeJuice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tennessee
    I also posted this in the health section of the forum but thought people in this section of the forum would have more experience with keeping both parrots and chickens.
    I am going to be vaccinating chicks soon and I have never kept chickens but instead pheasants, guinea fowl and parrots. From what i understand the marek's vaccine has a live strain of the virus in it. A strain that effects turkeys. Will the chicks pose a threat to my other birds after they are vaccinated? The birds would not be near each other but marek's is very contagious so it seems worth being paranoid about especially for the sake of my congo african grey parrots even if they are always inside the house.
    With my other birds i already have a pair of shoes I keep outside near their enclosure so i don't track anything back into the house with my shoes. I also have a few different bottles of hand sanitizer near the enclosure for after i collect eggs. If i ever need to move or handle the outside birds I wash my clothes and take a shower as soon as i go home but will all of this be good enough when i get chickens. From what i have read chickens are the hosts of many diseases and not all of them effect them while having devastating effects on other species.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by