Part name needed for making my waterer

Minflick

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Boulder Creek, California
Ladies and Gents:

I'm absolutely sure it's in here somewhere, but I can't find it right now, and time is fleeting! I'm making a gravity bucket waterer, where the bucket is mounted up above the watering mechanism, there's a part that pierces the bucket wall (I have that one) that the hose attaches to (I have the hose piece) and the hose attaches SOMEHOW to a piece of pvc (which I have), into which you put some kind of nipple (which I have).

What is the piece that connects the hose end to the butt end of the pvc pipe? And, if my pvc is 3/4" size, does this mystery piece need to also be 3/4", or is it a special attachment with a standard hose size (5/8"?) x whathaveyou....??

My birds arrive in anything from 7 - 10 days, so I'm getting really nervous about having it ALL ready in time! Even though hubs is making fun of me and calling the coop the "Chalet Poulet"...

Melinda

Hmm, not entirely sure. Perhaps photos would help other's respond? Something I've done is to go to small independent hardware stores (customer service is always TOPS above the big box stores there) with the parts and tell them what I want to do and they show me the parts I need.

pdirt,

That is a VERY good idea. I'd be happy to take a picture, or find a picture, but I have no clue what the part is, just that it has to interface between hose end and nekkid pvc pipe. I have a local Ace hardware who are very happy to try to help me out, so I may do that tomorrow on my way in to work! Thanks for the suggestion.

Melinda

If it was me I would just take the two parts you are trying to connect to Ace with you and just ask them how you can connect them together. Whether it takes one part or 3 to make it work, they will find and assemble the pieces for you and say "Is this what you wanted?" And they will probably do it in less than a minute where you might stand there for 15min trying to figure the best parts to make the connection. Add in that some of the parts/pieces might be hidden in drawers and you'll find that they may save you a boatload of time.

I have an independent HW Store in my town, when ever I go in there it seems there are more workers than customers and they always put together what ever I needed to make something like this work.

Last edited:
I think what you're looking for is a pvc to hose connector. You can get them in male or female configurations. If it is 1/2 inch, you can get a reducer.

Chicken Canoe, I think you're right, it IS a hose to pvc connector, but I'm ****** if I know if I want the female or the male type connector, so I'll be taking my hose in and asking our local Ace folks tomorrow. Plus my bit of pvc pipe, because I got 3/4" as the 1/2" looked too small to fit the 'inside' portion of the drinking cup.... I'd rather just haul in the 2 pieces that have to fit together and ask for help than explain poorly and end up with something that doesn't work, as I'm running out of time... I also need to find or buy more teflon tape, as the silicon worked wonders on stopping the bucket-gasket interface from leaking, but did nothing for the intersection of pvc pipe adapter to plastic hose spigot (to which the other end of my hose attaches) It doesn't leak badly, but it does drip a bit, so some tape is called for, and I'm not sure I can find mine.

The run is getting built Monday! I'm so excited!

Melinda

Lowe's is a big drive out of my way, and Ace, on the other hand, is 3 miles down the road, and have already been helpful, so I will continue to allow them to be helpful. Plus I have a $5 coupon! I need the waterer bits and bobs, and some clips or something to snap through the latches on the egg door. I got carabiners, but they were too small, so I need larger ones.

The birds are supposed to arrive Wednesday. I will drive to the post office, bring them back to work and stick them in a big dog kennel in the back hallway, and then bring them home in the dark when I get off work, and THEN I will get my nice new flash light and put the chickens in their new coop in the dark, and hope like hell there aren't any raccoons or skunks paying me a visit when I walk in the back yard.
hmm.png
I don't have a choice, though, so it is what it is. Unless I get the phone call at the crack of dawn, in which case I'll drive over the hill to the post office BY WORK, get the chickens, drive back over the hill home, fling them in their coop, and drive back over the hill to work.....

barnie.gif

Melinda

Got the bits for connecting hose end to pvc bar of the drinker assembly: 1 female hose adapter; 1 coupler to join up the adapter and the 'bar'. $2.49 and 49¢... Plus the hose itself, which was NOT that cheap, but I had to have it, so WTH... And I found my teflon tape, so I'm good to go tomorrow morning!

And yes, the folk at Ace were waiting at the door to help me spend my money.

Then I went to Home Depot to get the last of the pavers (I hope and pray!) to put on the apron of the run. Apparently, 10:00 a.m. on Saturday is a happening time of day there. Parking lot was packed, the aisles were packed, and there were lines at all the registers.

Melinda

Back
Top Bottom