Part of my gang - 6 weeks old - Females or Males??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by turtle1173, May 13, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Hi all,

We have 10 chicks that are all 6 weeks old. Amongst the 10 are 1 RIR, 1 Production Red, and 1 New Hampshire Red. I can't tell them apart. They are the first 3 chicks in the photos. In the pics posted below, I also have a buff orphington and a couple white rocks. Any roosters among these?

We also have two California whites, a black sexlink and a Bantam that I'll post sometime soon.

Chick #1 (2 photos):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 (2 photos):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 (2 photos):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #4 (buff orphington):
    [​IMG]

Chick #5 (White Plymouth Rock 1):
    [​IMG]

Chick # 6 (White Plymouth Rock 2):
    [​IMG]

Photo of Both White Rock's together (rock 2 on left, rock 1 on right):
    [​IMG]

Thank you for any help.

Shane

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see any that look like males.

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not an expert, but they look like pullets to me.

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    You have a nice looking bunch of chickens. They look like pullets to me.

5. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I fourth the nomination for pullets

6. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    ya you got all hens it looks like none of the combs have turned red and most roos have started turning red by now.

Mindy

7. turtle1173

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Here's a few more pics I took this afternoon while I was working on the coop. They are all 7 1/2 weeks or there abouts now.

RIR or Production Red. I can't tell them apart.
    [​IMG]

RIR and white plymouth rock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any males amongst this group?

Thanks!

Shane

8. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    They all look like girls to me! Congrats on the the Pullets! Did you pick these St. run? If you did, you must have a good hand, I have BAD LUCK picking St. run! lol.

9. turtle1173

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Well my chicks are all around 9 weeks old now. It's amazing how fast they change.

I have a question about my 2 White Plymouth Rock's. They were bought at the same time, yet there are some notable differences between the two. They are both the same size. However, one has a bigger comb, more red around the eyes and different colored legs.

I was thinking that this one was a roo but I don't know.

This picture was taken yesterday. It makes me laugh because the birds rushed out to greet me when I came through the gate. They didn't seem to realize that the wind was blowing 35mph. Their feathers got quite ruffled. Anyway I hope you can make out a couple of the differences that I mentioned, even though the bottom bird got cut off some. On the bottom left bird, notice the comb, red around the eye, and a remarkable yellow color for the legs (even though you can't see them all). The other rock has a smaller comb, red above the beak but not around the eyes, and a definite greenish yellow for feet & legs. Does this mean anything?
    [​IMG]

Here's a better pick of the "greenish-yellow legged" bird playing ring around the rosy with my bantam.
    [​IMG]

This last pic is a poor one of them together. It doesn't show leg color or head color but it does show size difference of the comb. By the way, that's the tail of a California white that is between them.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Shane

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I say pullets. From all I've seen, most roos have pretty large, red combs and wattles by this time. My 12 week olds starting getting red around the eyes around 9 weeks but the combs stayed small and no wattles. I'm just hoping for early eggs.

Nice looking chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by