part of reproductive tract?

dfchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
NC
I had a hen get a severe laceration 2 weeks ago. It finally is all healed up. When I picked her up this evening to check on her wound i found that she was nesting on this thing. I know I see pictures occasionally on here about them, but I could not find any. I am planning on opening it, but my hubby may want to be home to witness as well.

9470_p1220002.jpg

9470_p1220004.jpg

Thoughts?

it is softer, I am afraid to squeeze too hard! She is 1.5 years old. I did not notice any smell, yet.

Is has a yolk color to it, and the shape of a tubular tract. So it is probably from the reproductive tract, but is not part of it. Maybe a dried out yolk and some membranes (really soft shelled egg) that sat in the reproductive tract and got dried out. I would not worry unless it happens repeatedly. You might want to make sure everyone is getting enough calcium. Oyster shell?

She has been in isolation for 2 weeks, so it was kinda of bittersweet to find this thing . . . good to see she laid something, odd to see what it was. She did not have any calcium while in the house.

One of my girls laid something like that once when she first started laying. It was basically a soft shelled egg, but very strangely shaped and yicky looking. It even had a regular egg inside it. Good news is that she went on to lay normal eggs for the rest of her life.

okay i opened it up, it was a spongy feel to it. It looked like raw chicken on the inside and had a smell . . . not sure i can describe it. It also had a grittyness to it as the knife cut thru it. In the smaller part there was something around the hard part that was like the texture of a hard boiled egg yolk. Hum:confused:

Back
Top Bottom