1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Partial Eclipse Molt In American Game

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by centrarchid, Jul 5, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have been watching an American game rooster closely to collect feathers as he molts. It appears he is undergoing an eclipse molt of his hackles.

2. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    I didnt know American Games went through Eclipse molt [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most do not. Those that do seldom have the entire hackles replaced by black feathers, just most. Whomever stated games do not undergo an eclipse molt was not very thorough in their research and over generalized. Tomorrow the bird will be photographed to show dark rounded hackle feathers coming in as red pointed version being shed.

4. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    I've had some that do that as well. like you said, not very common.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I am looking at my cocks and stags and seeing it occurs more than I originally thought and maybe in more folks birds. The bird with partial to be photographed has black or nearly black feathers coming in (green or with blood) under hackle feathers. As hackle feathers being shed the eclipse feathers become visible. A brother of same bird also has eclipse feathers coming in but hackle feathers not being shed so eclipse feathers are not visible. Other males are shedding hackle feathers very heavily but no eclipse feathers underneath. In order to have proper eclipse molt, eclipse feathers need to come in and hackles need to be shed. I remember as kid we would have one in twenty roosters that would get a nearly black neck every summer for about two months. Necks were much narrow and feathers had round tips. I see advantage in respect to birds staying cool with the eclipse molt. I may select to restore eclipse molt in all my games.

6. Vcomb

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    one of my gull crosses goes through it yearly. his hackles really show it they become shorter, rounded and black tipped. then return to their long pointy deep red color.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Rooster starting to act different. Crowing frequency at night and during day greatly reduced. He stays within about 100 yards of both hens with chicks. He no longer ranges 900 feet away from roost. His courting is also reduced. He invests heavily in feeding of chicks whenever larger grasshoppers found.

Thinning hackle feathers.
    [​IMG]

Showing profusion of eclipse feathers coming in.
    [​IMG]

Rounded - dark tips of eclipse feathers.
    [​IMG]

In a couple weeks another series of photographs will be taken to show progression of eclipse molt.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Molt progressing but will not be complete. Photos in sunlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have son of last years bird doing same. Better photographs will be taken this go around. Below are shots of last years bird. This round greater attention will be paid to details concerning molt pattern as an adult.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Vcomb

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Here's a few pics of one of my 5/8th Morgan Whitehackle 3/8th Gulls that show the eclipse hackles
    [​IMG][​IMG] This second pic shows feathers that are just coming in and some that have grown out and are starting to gain a point to the end. also notice the hint of white on those fresh feathers. This bird carries spangling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by