"Partial Seizures"

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Robin'sBrood, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I took my 16 year old son to the doctor for a physical today after he confided in me that he was having trouble staying focused while driving. I knew this was serious because he had a minor accident while driving with DH back in November. DH could not understand why DS had the accident, he said it was like he zoned out and just drifted in the other lane, into a van (thank goodness it was a work van, no major damage, and the driver didn't care!) even though DH was yelling his name. I've ridden with him when he has done something similar and had drifted into the other lane... very scary! So the doctor listened to him describe what happens when he is driving (which DS says happens at least once EVERY time he drives) and asked both of us a bunch of questions. He then told me he wants DS seen by a neurologist and said it is possible that he has "Partial Seizure" epilepsy. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my son had this type as well as grand mal. Its kind of like blacking out, usually lasting less than 30 seconds. He may have had them for a long time and it was just unnoticed, looks like daydreaming or when they are watching tv or concentrating on something and they dont answer you. Lots of good info..
    www.epilepsyfoundation.org

actually it sounds more like what they call absence seizures which is what my son has had, partial seizures are a little more complex.
    http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/types/types/index.cfm

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  3. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    My daughter has these, the neuroligist calls them absence seizures, her teachers were on her for ignoring them and day dreaming and I kept telling them that she has tourettes and other problems, but they made me take her and get it "documented" so about $3,000.00 later we have her documented for them!They tried medications for her but they made her a zombie and we finally came to realize that since she is so young (8) that she is better off having the episodes than being a zombie! I do worry about her when she is old enough to drive, as hers come on more frequently when she is stressed and as we all know driving is stressful!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    May have to take away the driver's license until you get this worked out.

Better that, than losing him or him causing loss of life.

I have two different friends with sons with similar problems... neither can drive.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh darn! So sorry! I hope he dosnt have that.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Could be beginning signs of narcolepsy. How old is he? My DH has that. It is close to epilepsy, but not the same. It's triggered by stress and some visual redundancies...like driving. Hypnotized by the lines in the road and such.

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:He only has his permit and he has agreed that it isn't safe for him to drive until we can figure out what is going on. Poor kid... but I have thanked him many times for coming to me about this, I had no idea...

8. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've been doing some reading on it tonight and, looking back, I can see where he might have something like this. He says it happens at school sometimes too. If it happens at home, I probably just think he is either tuning me out, or daydreaming.... never thought it was anything serious because what kid doesn't do that at times, right?

HOWEVER, this has made me start questioning his 11 year old brother's behavior. I swear sometimes that kid's mind is a million miles away, on some other planet. I can be right beside him and call his name over and over and finally it's like he snaps out of it. His 2nd grade teacher told me not to be surprised if I was asked to have him tested for ADD. It caused him so much stress in school that he begged me to pull him out of PS after 3rd grade and homeschool him, which I did, so I definitely see what his teacher was talking about. But he can focus on movies, tv, video games, etc. so we have always thought was the way he is. Now I have to wonder. Is this something that can run in families?

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:He is 16, will be 17 on Feb. 19. He had his accident on an Interstate... and the time that I made him pull over and let me drive was on the same Interstate. Straight, boring, BIG road... and he drifted out of his lane both times. It'll be interesting to see what the neurologist says.

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Oh, wow, Robin! Like you didn't have enough going on! I'm so glad your son was mature enough to discuss what was going on. So many teenagers would have blown it off. Hope the neurologist has the answers you need.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by