Partially bald chicken - OK to put back with flock?

diana_of_the_dunes

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
St. Joseph County, IN
One of my hens escaped our yard last evening and the neighbor's puppy used her as a chew toy. Fortunately, I heard her squawking and went to investigate. She didn't seem to be injured, but almost all of her tail feathers and some of her back feathers were pulled out. She was also exhausted, so I separated her from my other two hens to let her recover. Today she is eating and drinking, is very alert, and seems SO much better than she did last night.

My other two hens are pretty docile, and I've never had any problems with pecking or aggression. Because there's no broken skin, would it be safe to put my bald hen back with the other two?

hi, yes she will be fine! as long as there is no wound they wont peck! ive had the same today! after i found her i put her back, ther feel safer being with their friends
thumbsup.gif

Thanks. I did put her back that night, and she was fine. At least until my other neighbor's dog got out of their yard, came through our chicken's fence, and killed that hen plus another. :( Why are hens such easy targets...

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom