Partially blind chicken sneezing a lot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Waves, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Hi all,
    I mentioned @Eggcessive and @oldhenlikesdogs
    Cause they replied to the previous thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/21886162/

My chicken giada is quickly developing cataract in both eyes, so she's going partially blind.
    I do a little premise:
    This summer, i bought two Black pullets and two silkies.
    Silkies sneezed and had noisy breathe, so i treated them with garlic and Apple vinegar, and symptomps disappeard. . I didnt know that they could be carriers for life. I discovered this only few days ago on this forum.
    70 days later, i ended quarantine and my older hens caught the same diseases. Treated them in the same way.
    Now two of the older hens don't show symptomps anymore, but Giada is always sneezing, she breathe noisy (crcrcrcrcr) and she has chills. but she hasnt mucus from the nostrils.
    So, she is... A bit isolated by the rest of the Flock (but no bullied ) because she can't see much, she is depressed for the cold, she's molting and she's 6 years old. I think she is very stressed.
    How can i help her? Id like to have some advices to how care for her. Supportive cares? Natural or not remedies for the cold? Thank you very much.

Cedar Creek Farm Lady likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep Giada warm while is showing symptoms, since she may not be able to regulate her body temperature. Keep her food and water in a familiar spot so she can find it. She may require some hand feeding of moist or wet chicken feed to get enough water. There is probably not much that can be done for the cataracts, other than trying the antibiotic drops or ointment recommended in the other thread, for a week or so in case of an infection. Can you get an antibiotic Tylosin or oxytetracycline where you live to treat her for a respiratory disease? If you only see sneezing and mild congestion, it may be a virus. If there are watery or bubbly eyes, or swelling in the face or around an eye, then it may be mycoplasma or MG, or coryza, and antibiotics may help.

Waves likes this.
  3. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Thank you very much.

No watery or bubbly eyes, no swelling in the face or around the eye...
    only sneezing and chills and cough, and (sometimes) noisy breathe.
    I'm going to buy this:
    https://raggiodisole.biz/retail/product/spirea-c/
    (there is the english page)
    it's a nutrional supplement to stimulate immunitary systems.
    could it help?
    thank you :)

Eggcessive likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like that herbal supplement is called meadowsweet or spirea, which is something that some might use to help with respiratory infections, but I have no experience with it. Since it could be caused by a virus, it may just take several weeks to recover from. So like colds and flu, I would just keep her warm, and taking enough food and water. Some vitamin B complex or nutritional yeast daily may be of benefit to her immunity as well.

Waves likes this.
  5. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Ok! Thanks!! you are so kind :)
    i'll do it. i'll let you know how is going :)

Eggcessive likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope that she recovers with your care.

Waves likes this.
  7. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    me too!!! :fl:fl;)

8. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    She s doing the same....Im taking her in the coop all day, in these days it rains a lot.
    She is a bit depressed, but she eats and drink well. I ordered the supplement, but it will take a couple of days to arrive. :fl

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry that she is depressed. Hopefully you will see some improvement with her eyes, but at her age, she might not get better.

Waves likes this.
  10. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    thank you very much. :jumpyshe was a bit better today
    "What are you waiting to feed me???? :mad::mad::mad:" :love
    IMG_20191107_154351.jpg

when she is sad she is so
    IMG_20191107_154643.jpg

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: