partially broody???

deldeer

Songster
Oct 24, 2019
Northern MD/ DE
Ok, so is it possible that a hen be partially broody? This is new to me, never had a broody hen in my short experiences as a chicken owner. She is a barred rock, about 18 months old +/-. She wants to spend her time in a nesting box recently, even if I take eggs out, she will still sit. She doesn't get mad or agitated if I move her, but in 5 minutes she will be sitting again! I closed off her favorite box and she moved to the next one down, if I go to the run and rattle their bag of treats she will come running from nest box, but again will return to it. she is eating and drinking. Instead of roosting at night she will try to stay in nest box, I have to physically put her on the roost, she will stay there. In the morning when I unlock the coop, she does come out to the run for a bit, but then will go sit yet again, this has just started about two days ago. Everything was completely normal and peaceful before this started. I don't want the other "ladies" to get any ideas!

You can move the cage to the garage at night if that's safer, or let her roost at night and then put her back in the cage as soon as possible the next morning. May take a little longer if you go with the roosting option.

Well she is in broody jail and pissed!

Attachments

• 20210506_144821.jpg
    20210506_144821.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
I have a Marans that will lay every day for 2 or 3 weeks then go broody for 2 weeks or more. I pick her up and move her at least 10 times a day. She's the sweetest girl and never gets angry. She started laying at 17 weeks last year and she's On again off again randomly. I've never had a broody hen in my other flocks.

Back
Top Bottom