Partially Paralyzed Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beccaw4, Dec 29, 2016.

1. beccaw4

beccaw4 New Egg

May 20, 2015
    Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what happened to my silkie. A couple days ago i noticed she was having trouble walking. She was kind of stumbling around. Now she can't walk at all. She can't even sit up. She just sits in a corner with her feet out in front of her. If I set her down on her own she rolls over and flaps trying to get herself up. I think possibly it could have been a stroke. A couple years ago she seemed to have one that caused her to go a bit nutty, she would get lost within sight of the coop and run around in circles and things like that. She is about 6 years old. I brought her inside and I have been hand feeding her and caring for her, but I really don't know why this happened or what to do long term. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sounds like Mareks to me.Legs in the front of there body is a telltale sign of mareks

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

She is old.......She lived a long life......Sorry we all pass......Enjoy her till the end......

Cheers!

5. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you mean?She is ONLY 6!!!!!My oldest hen is EIGHT YEARS OLD!

6. chickens really

7. beccaw4

beccaw4 New Egg

May 20, 2015
    How could she get Marek's? There have not been any new editions to the flock in years.

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Mareks is really contagious.It will pass through the wind.Was she sitting like this?

[​IMG]

9. beccaw4

beccaw4 New Egg

May 20, 2015
    not quite. she has to lean on her bottom to stay upright with her legs out in front of her. this is her i[​IMG]

10. chickens really

Poor thing......I am no Vet.....She seams to be in a very bad state........Hate to say it but Culling might be the best for her.....

Sorry.....

Best of luck....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by