partially processed turkey

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by terri9630, Jul 19, 2010.

1. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I was in the middle of processing a turkey yesterday when my daughters friends mother called and said my daughter had passed out and she was freaking out. I had the turkey hanging and bleeding out so I wrapped her in a plastic bag and stuck her in the frig and went to town. I was in the middle of cleaning out the hen when a friend of mine came over and said I ought to throw her out since she sat in the frig overnight without being cleaned and that it wouldn't be safe.

So, do y'all think there something wrong with the meat? I know my brother in law hunts all the time and cleans things when he gets home and has never had a problem. Do you think the meat is ruined? I'd hate to waste this beautiful 18lb turkey.

I thought I read on here somewhere that someone found a chicken that had missed cleaned before freezing and it was alright. I don't see where a turkey would be much different.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    you're fine.
    hope your daughter is ok.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    You should be fine. Just process it as normal and make sure you cook it well. [​IMG]

4. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Thanks y'all. How do you pluck these things? I think the tail and wing feathers were super glued in.

My daughter is fine. Well as fine as she ever is...... Her allergies cause vertigo and she looses her balance. She doesn't loose consciousness but it freaks people out. I remind her when she is home but she stayed the night with a friend and forgot to take it.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If it were me and I ws two days into processing the darned thing I would just skin it.

6. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    That is what I ended up doing. No idea of how I'm going to cook her but she's done. I gotta find freezer bags big enough for turkeys!

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    You could use freezer paper too... might be easier to find!!

8. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    That's a good idea too. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by