Partially Severed Toe?? 1st Time I've Ever Had To Play Chicken-Nurse!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Picky Chicky, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I went in to check on the girls this evening and went to pick up my girl "Cookie" - she's my first ever chicken, and of course my favorite. She's one of the few that I even named. When I picked her up, her foot brushed on my hand and I felt something wet - first instinct was that it must've been poo, but instead it was blood. It appears that Cookie has somehow hurt herself - her claw was twisted around and almost completely severed to the ...er... knuckle?? Sorry, I don't know what else to call it - it reminds me of what must happen when a cat gets declawed - you know, the nail is taken off straight up to the nub? Same thing here.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to offer... she wasn't bleeding profusely, and she seemed OK. She let me sort of pull at it to see if it was hanging by a thread or not... unfortunately it was still hanging on pretty good. I don't know whether to let her be and let it fall off on its own, or cut it off (the part that's hanging).

My gut is telling me that maybe I ought to leave it be and let nature run its course - as long as she doesn't seem to be limping or sick.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. FlaChickenMan

FlaChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    If it is just hanging on take a pair of sterilized scissors or the like and take it off, paint some gingin violet or iodine or pine tar. she will be fine Increase a little protein in her diet. just keep an eye on it so it does not get infected. Simple Aloe plant on it does wonders too.

3. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    [​IMG] Eek.... cutting appendages. I am going to check in on her first thing tomorrow - if it hasn't fallen off, I think I'll brave it and then use iodine.

Thanks for the info!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by