Partially silkied chick? From two unsilkied parents?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by theredroosta, Nov 26, 2011.

1. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    I have a chick with normal feathering throughout but silkied feathers on its tail. I am waiting for further feather development so I can see if there is more silkied areas on this chick. Heres a bit of backstory:
    So a few years ago, I bought a bunch of mutt chicks off of a feed store that were labeled as silkie crosses. Only one of these crosses had silkied feathering, and that one did not mother this strange chick. The parents both did not have silkied feathers, but the mother (Which was a different mutt from the same group of crosses) did have an unexpressed silkie gene. The way I know the mother was not the only silkied mutt is because the chick has a peacomb but the father has a straight and the silkied mutt has a straight. The only silkie cross that could possibly produce a peacomb is the unsilkied cross with a walnut comb. So what is going on? Is it even known for partially silkiness to occur? The hookless feather gene is recessive, so how could two parents without hookless feathers produce such offspring? Is this just a coincidental mutation and has nothing to do with the chicks parentage?

2. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    if both of the paerents have the silkie gene, even though they havent got silkie feathers, if they are carrying the gene and they mate some of the ofspring will have silkied feathers, so you said that they were silkie mutts? well in that case the parents must have the silkie feather gene [​IMG] hope this helps

luke.

3. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Sorry I should have clarified, only one of the parents of this chick is a silky mutt. The other is a leghorn/rir cross which has no silky gene in it whatsoever.

4. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    well in that case i have no clue [​IMG]
    good luck and post pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by