1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Partially soft egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wetzelbuilt, Feb 18, 2017.

1. wetzelbuilt

wetzelbuilt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2017
    Northwest Ohio
    I have 10 red sexlinks today one of them laid this egg! They have been on winter laying break and we have only gotten one other egg last Sunday.[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest its nothing to worry about - it can take hens a while to get the egg-laying machinery in perfect working order after a break.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, probably just a 'start up' glitch....should smooth out soon.

4. wetzelbuilt

Feb 9, 2017
    Northwest Ohio
    Are these deformed eggs safe to eat???

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. rholewinski

rholewinski New Egg

Apr 5, 2017
    I'm having the same trouble I have 6 reds two big black( don't remember the name) and one black and white. I'm getting about 6 eggs a day but just within the last three weeks I have been finding one to two partially soft eggs broke in the nest box. What is happening? The chickens are all two years old.

7. wetzelbuilt

Feb 9, 2017
    Northwest Ohio
    do u have oyster shells as a free choice? That helps to give the chickens the calcium they need to produce hard shells. Mine did this when they were starting to lay again after winter break. Sounds like u have 9 chickens total so maybe u have some starting to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by