(Partially) Walled Run

ChickPoulet

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2021
Hello all,

We are fairly new to this so we could really use your input.

We are upgrading our run so that we don't have to crawl into it this winter.

My girlfriend would like to wall the bottom of the run (see picture). It would help keep the snow from accumulating in the run, break the wind,and possibly facilitate maintenance in the winter (we are from Eastern Quebec, we get lots of snow/ snowstorms). Last year we used plastic, it worked well, but she's looking for something more permanent (although we will still need some plastic).

She would like it to be at least 3 planks high about 30 inches).

I'm not really sure about this...I feel like we would need all the light we can use. I also feel like perhaps hens would be less comfortable if they couldn't see outside the run from the ground. But all of this is based on nothing than gut feeling and perhaps the fact that I can't find a picture of a partially walled run...

P.s. that setup, if we go for it, would only be for the winter. The hardware cloth will be installed from the inside and the planks from the outside so just a couple of screws to remove...

What do you guys think? Do you guys have similar setups?
PXL_20221022_202929220.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_202929220.jpg
    PXL_20221022_202929220.jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 2
.I feel like we would need all the light we can use. I also feel like perhaps hens would be less comfortable if they couldn't see outside the run from the ground.
Worrying about your hens not seeing out is little to no concern. :idunno During winter,, all is practically one white color due to snow.
Place/staple clear plastic above the boards. Place a bale of straw inside run,, so chickens can jump on top of it. Especially if you get some snow inside,,,,, you can turn bale over,, and offer the chickens dry/snow free surface.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome

Back
Top Bottom