1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

particularly noisy hen in morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nok13, Dec 26, 2012.

1. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    so every morning i hear my hens, they all have soft clucks, but SHE makes a real racket, squawking and complaining. when i finally let them out to their small yard, she still complains loudly.... but she is the only one of the leghorn layers to actually at this moment , lay eggs. i see her laying them. she sits, reads the newspaper, and argues with the one red laying hen (with the crooked toes) who also lays... this white one has a very large, slightly floppy bright red comb, and she is bigger then the others. i think she is the only one of the white hens to be laying. does she have too much testesterone? can hens become males (non fertile) if there are no males around like some reptiles and fish? or act as males *(

like trying to crow)?

: why is only one of the leghorns laying? they are all from the same battery style coop (i got them as young pullets who then moulted for the whole month of october... a month ago (december) two have been laying. why arent all of them? they are getting layer feed, veggies, rice, they have a nice yard, plenty water and good weather (for chickens- gets to about 5 centigrade at night, 19-22 daytime), protected from wind and rain unless they want to be in the rain... i know its winter, and winter lighting, should i just be patient and wait?
    will more nest boxes encourage them? these girls have to earn their keep or hubby will not allow bought feed and they will become grandma's penicilin (chicken soup)... plus i have to bribe my neighbhors with eggs to make up for the early a.m. clucking/squawking...
    whadda u think?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Some hens are just louder than others. If you want them to lay better give them a few hours of supplemental lighting, otherwise you may just not get many eggs for a while.
    As for crowing....I had a friend who had a hen who crowed regularly....and I have heard they can sometimes act as a male...

sometimes egg laying is reduced because of parasite overload as well.....have they been wormed recently? Have you checked for lice/mites? This can cause a decrease in laying as well.
    Are they hiding eggs? Did you look around to see if anyone is eating or laying eggs somewhere besides the boxes?

ETA Sp

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    dont thnk they have parasites, they all look perky and clean (no frayed feathers etc); could be winter light, or age differences...
    the 'crowing hen' is really really annoying. im hoping the neighbhors dont have a fit from the six oclock crowing.. she's very very noisy but i think she is the one that also lays. they dont lay in the morning they seem to lay later i the day (the red one and noisy one)... but if she keeps this up i wil have to banish her to a friend's petting zoo and/or husband's coop (although he wants pure bred thai birds.) or she will go free range with someon on other side of the kibbutz that keeps baladi/mediterrenean types in a 'wadi' (like a gully) near his housing area. no one there seems to care about the noise as they are all elderly and hard of hearing at the best of times...:)

my side are still all younger families with kids and this hen is really really persistant with her calls , not quite the volume and lenghth of a cock crowing, but loud and long enough to get me out of bed and rushing down to release them to their yard ,and enough so that in summer with eveyone's windows open, someone is bound to say something at some point. when she is under the coop the sound doesnt carry. she seems to have the biggest comb, largest body, but lays every day. (ive seen her both crowing and then laying). but she continues to call after she lays.

im thinking of trading her for a different hen, but then i lose a layer and also all the pecking order will change, plus im beginning to get attached. i dont attach easily anymore after raising so many animals of different types, but still, im starting to recognize each one... some do really seem younger and less develped then her too.

oh well.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Lol...sounds like you'll work it out eventually.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by