parting words

turtleblossom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Kentucky
Does anyone else give their birds a "pep talk" just before you do them in? I always say:

"God, thank you for the chicken;Chicken, thank you for your life; you feed my family and I'll feed yours."

I also tell them to be brave if they squawk or struggle before hand. This may seem odd to some, but it just feels right to me to honor and appreciate a life before you take it. Maybe it's the Cherokee blood in me. I treat my butchering area as a sacred space, and the death of the chicken is a ritual that is not to be interrupted or taken lightly. I always feel conflicted after butchering. It is hard to take a life, but I know it is necessary. Afterward, I feel good about providing for my family, which is what gives me courage to kill the next one.

Yep... I always give them a pep talk. Especially when they are staring up at me like, 'hey, human...whatcha doin??'

Dang, I hate that - they are just so trusting of you.

But I do say 'thank you' to the chicken and to God for letting me take care of the bird and prepare it for my table.

We do something similar as well. It is a very tough thing, raising animals for meat and being responsible for their deaths. But, we feel that if we're going to eat meat, it is the most respectful way to do so.

Quote:
I think that is the most wonderful way to approach a difficult task.

My husband saltwater fishes, and when he decides to keep a fish for eating, he says thank you to the fish for its life, and that it will be eaten and not wasted.

And I always thank our girls for the eggs they lay.

There is always a part of me which wants to turn the truck around and not take the birds in. It's especially hard with the geese as they are still like pets to me.

I just remind myself that the simple fact that I do care and do always have some remorse means I'm the kind of person who should be raising meat, rather than those who are indifferent.

Quote:
This is beautiful. I have uttered similar words, but this is nice.
smile.png

I say a silent "Thank your for giving your life to sustain us. I will not waste it."

Then I use every part of the bird (or deer, or whatever) that I can. I would never just take the breast meat and discard the rest, I considerate that a huge disrespect for the life taken.

There are people around here who hunt wild turkeys, they mostly just take the breast and throw the rest away. The thought of that kind of waste just makes me ill.

I finally got some to start bringing me the part they don't want. I finish dressing it out and eat it. Now, if I can get them to bring me the whole, undamaged carcass, and let me do the whole process! I'd save the part they want for them, but I could dress it easier if they haven't cut open the crop while mangling the breast, and not have to spend an hour or more cleaning grass and weed seeds out of the meat!

I've got deer hunters bringing me the hides, too. I have some in my freezer I need to scrape and cure before the next hunting season.

I process my own birds, and as I walk them to their fate, I hold them snugly, and talk to them. I pet their head and say something like " I am so sorry, thank you for giving your life for my family. I gave you the best life that I could and I will make this as quick as possible for you."

Back
Top Bottom