partly open coop in existing open barn - too cold?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by esthermgr, Oct 28, 2009.

1. esthermgr

esthermgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I live in Atlanta, and would like to turn half of a large doorless barn into a chicken coop.

My barn has two large openings in front that have no doors. I plan to divide the barn down the middle with chicken wire (nailed to a wooden frame, of course) and use one half as the coop. I plan to cover that door with chicken wire and put a chicken door in so they can go out to their run. The run will be outside that side of the barn.

So, the coop would have real walls on two sides, a ceiling overhead. A third side would be inside the barn, but the barn doors are large and open. The fourth side (the barn door) would be covered in chicken wire.

Any advice on whether my chickens will be warm enough here in Atlanta?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    As long as they can come into shelter from the wind and rain, you should be good...We use mobile chicken trailers and ours do just fine.

I see you're a new poster, so I'm welcoming you to posting....Please let me know if every I can help you. We have a small farm in West GA and sell poultry, goats, bunnies and vegetables. Come see us when you can!

We enjoy giving farm tours.

Have a blessed day!

3. esthermgr

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks, Nancy! I'm happy to know that my plans will work! Now I have to figure out a way to not disturb the bats and barn swallows that have started to also roost in our barn.

What's the name of your farm? We try to eat local through our CSA, so maybe we've heard of you...

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:They will be fine, it sounds like a good setup. Just make sure it is predatorproof. If you sometimes get storm winds from the open side's direction, and the barn is not deep enough to keep the weather out, you might want to put up half a sheet of plywood or something, towards the back, that they can get behind on those rare days. But if your barn is deep enough you may not need even that [​IMG]

Good lcuk, have fun,

Pat

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Our farm name is Red Hott Tomatoes.....We actually supply to our local CSA, so you may be getting some of our eating eggs and veggies too!!!!

Ditto on watching for predators as they can be just so bad....Be careful for yourself in cleaning out of the barn as well. I recommend a face mask and goggles when cleaning out a barn.... It is rugged work, but sounds like a great place for your coop~!

Have a great day,

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

This is very similar to the set up I have and it works great. Mine is built into the back corner of our small goat barn which is open on two sides. So the coop has a roof, a south and an east wall and the other two sides are open inside the barn. It makes for a very open and airy coop that the birds don't mind spending time in at all when the weather is bad. We do put up a sheet of temporary plywood in winter on one of the coop walls to give more protection from the wind.

Good luck with your project!

7. esthermgr

Oct 28, 2009
    I think it will be deep enough to keep out wind. It is a rather space (really the understory of my two-car garage) and goes back pretty far. It's naturally insulated by the hillside at the back and is made out of concrete.

I can't wait to get started! (of course, I have no idea how to actually build it, but practice makes perfect, right?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by