Partner has told me the chickens have to go

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kittyuskattyus, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kittyuskattyus

kittyuskattyus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    Exeter, devon UK
    My partner and I have been together for 6 years, we made a joint decision to get a couple of chickens a year ago. We live on a friendly suburban housing estate, houses all around us. Every other morning about 8.30-9.30 the girls make a squarking noise because they are about to lay an egg. Once a week they make noise because they are hungry. It's about 30 seconds in total, we don't have roosters just happy girls that are quiet the rest of the time. They make happy clucking noises when they are scratching around but that's it. My partner has had a massive go at me this morning saying the chickens make too much noise and we will be evicted from our house because of the noise they make. Even though the dog next door barks at all hours of the day constantly, the children on the right of us are screaming when they play in the garden for hours and there is a guy who listens to loud music daily for hours on end. However this morning a neighbour on the other side of the close shouted "shut those chickens up" at 9.30 when flick (our silver Sussex) was announcing she was about to lay an egg. Now my partner has told me they have to go.
    I'm terribly upset and I love my girls dearly. What should I do?

2. mummyandchicks

mummyandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    If you really want to keep your chickens don't make any rash decisions.

I'd be asking my husband why he now doesn't want them as I find it hard to believe its just the small amount clucking when they lay.

I also would speak to the neighbour to find out what their real concern is - 15 to 30 minutes of clucking is nicer than my two kids playing chasings in our backyard.

3. chas84

chas84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Centurion, South Africa
    I'd be devastated to get rid of my birds! Can't you insulate their coop with egg flats so that the noise is significantly reduced? Hehe or just borrow a rooster for a little while to let the neighbours experience exactly what a noise is.

1 person likes this.
  4. KatsChicks

KatsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    Maybe you can talk him out of it. Let him know how much you enjoy having them. Mummyandchicks is right, Kids are much louder lol. And if the Dogs bark too. And it's not that early in the Morning or in the middle of the Night. I wouldn't worry about that Neighbor. I hope you get to keep your Chickens :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  5. sutherland

sutherland Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia
    That is a terrible situation that they have out you in I wouldn't give up my birds for anything I think u should let him or her know exactly how important they are to you and that when you take on a life you are responsible for it and you can't just give up after the first time it isn't fun. As for your neighbour I think I would tell them to be concerned about what happens on there property and what happens on mine is completely up to me :) also can I just say what kind of a world do we live in that it's not ok to make alittle noise when passing an egg atleast your noise is feeding you

6. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I think your partner was worried about getting evicted.
    I would try and make friends with the neighbor. Be nice and tell them you understand they were upset with the noise and come up with a plan or try to work something out.

I have two that sing the egg song. They seem easily distracted from it though. They see the others going after a food treat, they run over and forget about their egg. Is it possible for you to distract them with a treat once they start to sing? If this works, I'd tell the neighbor about your plan so they know you're working on it. Most people are reasonable. :)

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Here's my question:

Are you allowed to have the chickens, are they legal where you live?

If they aren't, your county or city can make you get rid of them if a neighbor complains. If they are, tell your neighbors to mind their own business and kick rocks, you have every right to keep them. But, its important to know a detail like that when trying to give someone advice...

8. kittyuskattyus

kittyuskattyus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    Exeter, devon UK
    Yes they are perfectly legal where we are, but the main problem is worrying about eviction. It's more that if they make any noise my partner is terribly worried that the neighbours will complain to the landlord and we will be evicted. We've been in our property for 4 years and had the chickens for a whole year.

9. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    I would go with talking with the neighbor and seeing if you can work something out. Even if the chickens are legal, a neighbor who hates them can make your life miserable. Tell them you are working on a solution, and see if that helps. Maybe they were just having a bad day, since you've had the hens a year and this is the first they have said anything. The distraction is a good idea, throw out some meal worms as soon as they start singing the egg song! I've been so blessed with neighbors who like my hens, but I've heard horror stories of people who had neighbor problems.

10. TK421

TK421 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Central TX
    I wonder if you could deliver some eggs to the neighbor as a thank you for putting up with the noise, and a small explanation of some things you're going to do to lessen the noise. Maybe this will include some mid morning treats, or letting them free range, or maybe not free range, depending on your chickens. Sometimes reducing the number of chickens you have can also reduce the noise. I've explained to my neighbors that anytime they get tired of the noise, let me know and I'll take care of it. I've been blessed so far.... But try egg bribery. It could work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by