Partridge Brahma

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by turrbrahma, Apr 4, 2011.

1. turrbrahma

turrbrahma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I currently have Light Brahmas and am very interested in branching out with the colors:)! How do you create a partridge brahma? Thanks in advance!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    By buying some.

Sjisty is a member here with Partridge and Blue Partridge Brahmas. Be warned though - If your Light Brahmas are from hatchery stock like mine, the size of REAL Brahmas like the Partridge will blow you away. [​IMG]

I currently have a Partridge I hatched from some eggs of Sjisty's, very cute and very big girl, still growing. Another breeder is Dee Mejistrick (sp?) Dee breeds show quality American type, Sjisty has UK type, who differ in having "vulture hocks." (more feathering down the legs)

3. turrbrahma

turrbrahma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks! I purchased my Brahmas from breeders so none of them are hatchery stock atleast as far as I know:)! My birds are huge but I would be interested to see others from non hatchery stock. Looks like Sjisty is the key:)! I will contact her! Just so I am clear- Sjisty birds have more feathering on the legs?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes. It is a DQ (the stiff feathering around the hocks) in shows but fine in the backyard. Not all her birds are like that, but I believe at least a few are. My one pullet looks like she might get some, but it is hard to say. . . She's feathering in too slowly to say for sure.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have gold partridge and blue partridge Brahmas - my golds are smaller and without the "vulture hocks." My blues are huge, but do have the vulture hocks. I have them in a mixed pen at the moment and are trying to breed for larger size and smaller vulture hocks. I need to take more pictures now that they are all grown - but this shows the color difference well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joseph Chicken likes this.
  6. Islandia

Islandia New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! Where are you located? I'm in central Wasthington, State. I would LOVE to get a start in partridge cochins! Feel free to contact me at [email protected]. michel

7. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I'm in Florida, but I don't have cochins, I have Brahmas.

8. cosmicblue

cosmicblue New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Hi Sjisty,
    I am very interested in getting Partridge Brahmas for breeding and show, and am in Washington state. Any recommendations?

Cosmicblue

9. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Hi -

Partridge Brahmas are not a color that is accepted to show here in America. Here we just recognize the darks, lights, and buffs. I will be selling eggs again in the spring from my Partridge girls.

10. Trooper Man

Trooper Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Any pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by