Partridge chick from pure black silkie pair??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by liljunie, Aug 24, 2013.

1. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I purchased a trio of pure black silkie chickens and hatched out the first eggs this weekend. 3 hatched out black, one partridge? I paid alot of $$ for this trio as pure black/ not splits. Is a partridge possible with pure black?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Question, how long have you had the trio? If not long, the hen could have been fertilized by a different rooster that the person you bought her from had. Also, do you have any other varieties? Maybe someone jumped into a different pen--even if only briefly?

3. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    I have had the trio since May. I have a very young blue rooster in with them also so it is possible that he has mated, but I have not seen him even try. I have a bunch more eggs in the incubator and I am interested to see what hatches!

4. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    2 out of 5 chick from this black pair are partridge. I am not sure what to do with this pair, I can't add them to my BBS flock. Is there a way to test to see if it is the roo or hen carrying the gene?

5. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    5 more chicks hatched with 2 being partridge, two black and 1 lavender. I do have a lavender hen that may have laid her first egg. Would this mean my black roo is split to lavender? Any idea where the partridge is coming from?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Can you post photos of the chicks?

7. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013

8. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013

9. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    Here we go![​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are 6 chicks there? Two black, two appear to be silver partridge/grey one look blue and one maybe splash?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by