Partridge Cochin - 4 weeks old - pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MadHens, May 28, 2012.

1. MadHens

MadHens Chirping

Apr 26, 2012
    RI
    I posted this in another section and realized I should have posted this here, so I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. Anyway, I have a partridge cochin that is 4 weeks old. I requested a female (from My Pet Chicken) but I know they don't guarantee 100% accuracy. It was supposed to be a white cochin but they gave me the wrong color. Now I'm wondering if they gave me the wrong sex too :( MPC has refunded me the cost of the chick for the color error, BTW, so I do appreciate that. Behavior-wise, this chick is the most skittish of all 6 of my chicks, but I have 5 different breeds and only one cochin, so I don't have anything similar to compare it to. What do you think? As you can see by the pictures, the feathering has been verrrrry slow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Songster

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    hmmm.... Looks like it could be a boy because of the comb growth but I would wait a little longer. If the comb becomes flamming red then it is probably a boy. If it stays this color you hopefully have a girl! :)

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    roo

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    roo

5. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Cockerel. That stance.. And the comb.. the slow feathering.. All indicators of it being a boy.

6. Studio2770

Studio2770 Songster

Apr 29, 2013
    I know I'm SUPER late but I'm sure you know what it is now. I thought my partridge cochin may be a boy also, suppose to be a she. I was provided good info that determines Olive is a she. She will be 4 weeks old by the end of tomorrow. Her comb concerned me, but I doubt it will grow to the size of your's over night. Here is the link to the thread I posted about her, hope you find it helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804899/partridge-cochin-gender#post_11650740

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: