Partridge Cochin cockerel not feeling well.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by australorp_breeder, Jan 4, 2010.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    For the past four days or so my cockerel hasn't been feeling that well. His comb is more purplish then red, his poop has been white and running, he holds his tail low, and he's been lethargic. I'm going to start keeping him seperatd from the hens at night because I don't know what's up with him. He eats and drinks still, but does it slow. He's about 10 months old and I've had him for about 2 months. I bought him at the fair from someone for $10 and I know he was healthy then because he was inspected before being showed. Can someone please help me diagnose what's wrong with him?

2. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Awh poor baby

Maybe it would be best to completely sepereate him, day and night. If he's sick you don't want to risk passing in onto another hen.

Is he getting enough nutrition in his diet?

3. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I've been raising chickens for years, and I've had one other chicken in the past this had happened to. Over time the chicken got better, only thing is, the one that was like this in the past didn't have runny poop.

I feed my chickens Hen Scratch, and they're free range. I also put Vitamins and Electrolytes in their water.

Thank you though.

4. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    If you're still around this thread by any chance I found out he has pneumonia. I called a local feedstore the other day and they referred me to someone who knew a lot about chickens. My cockeral has been on antibiotics for a day or so. I'm praying he'll recover quickly!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Awe, I hope he is doing better. [​IMG]
    They are beautiful birds. I hope to get some this spring.

6. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope he feels better very very soon!

7. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thanks everyone! ...Unfortunately, he ended up passing away two days ago... Rest in peace Romeo, you were a great chicken!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    They're just as bad as babies for being sick and not being able to tell us whats wrong.
    Sorry you lost him.

9. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by