1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Partridge Cochin from show lines- near Columbus OH (Pickerington)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by HeartlanderMom, Jan 5, 2009.

1. HeartlanderMom

HeartlanderMom New Egg

Apr 8, 2008
    Partridge Cochin Pullet near Columbus OH 5+ mos old needs home

What Happened
    Why can't everyone just get along? My sweet new little Partridge Cochin named "Noodle" by my DD- despite the fact that she's bigger than the rest of my hens- has become the whipping post. I got her at the OH national poultry show from regular winner & Cochin Breeder Debi Carlson from MI. She completed a 4-wk quarantine in the basement. Then she did the polite intros for another week. Then she was integrated to the flock. She did great for the first two days.
    javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');
    Then I went out to the coop and found a piece of tissue stuck to a nail on the inside of the coop (I never even noticed that nail but that hen found it! <!> with a big blood spatter around it. I looked around to find who was bleeding and found all the other hens clustered around poor Noodle who was bleeding from a gashed neck. My theory is that she stabbed herself on the nail and then the others spotted it an dove in. They had defeathered the area around her wound and she was just laying there, she had given up and was laying there in the corner wishing for death.
    javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

OHmigoodness! Poor thing!!! I scooped her up and took her inside and poured peroxide in the wound and she nearly died right there from the pain of it. I felt horrible as my 8yo DD was holding her over the sink. She went into shock and I explained what was happening and that she was going to die. My daughter began to cry but kept holding her just like I said while I finished dressing the wound on the semi-conscious bird. But she didn't die. My daughter held her on her lap for 3 hours after that and stroked her and kept her warm and that little pullet pulled through! Not only did she pull through but she has totally recovered and has become the sweetest nicest chicken I have. javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

But now I cannot in good conscience put her back out in the coop with the tough girls out back and honestly, I cannot keep a chicken in my house b/c I have a chicken-eatin' dog who already sleeps in my DD's room. She cannot live in the basement- that's no life for a chook. She can't go outside with the other girls, so she needs to go where she can be with other Cochins, more of her own gentle kind. My hens have never picked on each other but well, they're hens. So I fear Noodle will always be a target especially since she's so scared of the others and such a poofy ball-o-love, er, cochin.

If you want a pet for a kid, she is IT!
    If you want a girl for out back with other cochins, she'd be perfect.

About Her Breeding

Debi Carlson breeds her Cochins naturally. No feather clipping. Her birds are all able to reproduce and brood naturally. She lets them be freerange on her properly also. I saw a bunch of her birds and they didn't have the 'poopybutts' and crusting that many of the other Cochins suffered from. Noodle has the same situation. She is clean and friendly, not flighty at all.

Physical: Nice big cushion up on top. Straight toes. Perfect partridge lines on her feathers (I don't know the exact show term), each one is perfectly formed with beautiful concentric lines. She's a gorgeous specimen. Neck wound is healed. Feathers are coming back nicely in normal coloring. Eyes are clear, no wrinkling in her face, beak is perfectly straight and aligned.

Age: Right around point-of-lay. Hasn't started yet. Should be 6 mos old sometime in the next couple weeks.

Health: No body parasites whatsoever. have dusted her 3 times and now maintain with D.E. in bedding (Pine shavings). At this point has completed 1 1/2 quarantines. Normal droppings, currently on grower/finisher feed supplemented with fresh greens, flock block, etc. Have fed her Diatomaceous earth several times in past 2 mos so she should be internal parasite-free. She is internal parasite symptom-free. Currently in final pullet-molt stage just before starting to lay.

Personality: would make AWESOME kids pet. She is as sweet and docile as can be. Chatty and responsive. She's been in a large cage in our home for her first quarantine and now for the last 2 weeks and doing great so she's done a half a quarantine already! I let her out into a fenced area -by herself in area not run by other hens- during nice days. Calm around my dog (the one that doesn't eat chickens).

If you are interested post back/respond.
    Will trade a bag of feed for her or a basket of apples, a bag of pine shavings, get creative and make me an offer. Paid $35 but I just want her to have a good home as my DD has become attached to her. If you want pics, let me know and I'll send. Will meet halfway for reasonable drive to new home.

2. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I would love to have them....but I live in central Va......what would be half way? PM me....am out of town for the next three days......will check in.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

could you send a pic? I'm not sure if I can make it that far. If you can't find anyone then I will try to make it. I have a partridge hen named bitsie. I am in Georgetown OH 45121

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I PM'd you. Would love her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by